tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE's Reviews > Modern Painting

Modern Painting by Hugh Adams

bookshelves: art

For someone who's not that interested in painting, I sure do love looking at the pictures in this bk. I just gave it a 5 star rating not b/c the bk itself is necessarily so amazing but b/c the paintings reproed w/in it are. The author writes:

"Not withstanding the art of the fur-covered teacup, the urinal, the ready-made, collage and assemblage which date from the first part of the century, it was not until the early-sixties that artists exploited alternatives to conventional painting and sculpture prolifically. The consequence was that for the subsequent ten years not many important, new ideas in art have been expressed in the two media. Land Art, Project Art, Body Art, Art Povera, Performance, Concept Art, Post-Object Art, Post-Minimal Art, all emerged as vigorous alternatives to traditional modes."

& the above is somewhat of a history of what my own activities have grown out of. Just take away the "art" and, Voila!, you'll have something of a taste of what truly interests me. Nonetheless, there will always be pictures to look at & people who specialize in making them. SO, any new ways of approaching such a process are very welcome by me. & the 20th century was certainly full of new ways.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Modern Painting.

Finished Reading