Linda's Reviews > The Woman in the Window

The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn

bookshelves: mystery-thrillers, psychological-thriller

"I am locked in. I am locked out."

Anna Fox has more intricate layers than a double-decker BLT tilting towards the mayo. Ain't no toothpick strong enough to keep this one from skidding off the plate.

Anna exists behind the shuttered doors and windows of her four-story home in New York City. Dark and dreary are the colors that paint her reclusive world both on the exterior and on the interior. Anna suffers from agoraphobia that keeps her locked in as a prisoner of her own home and of her own mind. Those mind gremlins have taken residence and Anna sedates them with plenty of prescription drugs. She sloshes around at the bottom of a Merlot bottle like an Olympic drinker.....takin' the gold every time.

Day by day she locks into perpetual viewing of old black and white movies including Vertigo and Rear Window. Her only interactions with the outside world are through weekly home visitations with her psychiatrist, her physical therapist, and her basement tenant, David. Anna is separated from her husband, Ed, and their young daughter, Olivia, which brings about a lonely, suffocating existence. Daily phone calls just don't seem to fill the void.

But one bright spot comes with Anna's monitoring of her neighbor's comings and goings. She uses her Nikon camera lens to zoom in for a closer look. Such an activity brings the outside world in and gives Anna a bit of control as to when and as to how long she wishes to view their movements. She becomes particularly attached to the Russell family across the small park.

Enter: Bizarro World in Living Color

Anna's black and white movie world will suddenly take on techno color hues. With her up-close-and-personal camera lens, Anna witnesses something horrendous happening in the Russell's home through that window. Paralyzed with fear, Anna reports it. Let's just say that no one is buying what our Anna is selling. But, you and I the readers, we know the truth. But A.J. Finn will see to it that the truth comes in variations and all sizes......

Wowzers! The movie rights have already been sold for this one. It's a winner. But I must honestly say that the pacing is all wrong. The beginning chapters are slow. We, the readers, circle around the storyline puffing up cushions trying to get comfy and ready. It's gonna take a while. Prepare for that. But then, it finally takes off. My other concern is the amount of pills and Merlot that Anna consumes on a daily basis. In the real world, she'd be face down, not breathing, and with carpet marks all over her face. I'll leave it there and hope the screen writers will nip and tuck.

I encourage you to take this one out for a test drive. Cushions propped up, you might just be in for a surprise. And no Merlot required.....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Woman in the Window.

September 6, 2017 – Shelved
September 6, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
February 2, 2018 – Started Reading
February 3, 2018 – Shelved as: mystery-thrillers
February 3, 2018 – Finished Reading
July 16, 2018 – Shelved as: psychological-thriller

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)

Linda Thanks, Mary, Pranta, Jen, Jasmine, and Karin. I must tell you that this was one strange read. See what you think. ;)

Marialyce Just picked this one up today at the library. Glad to see it is a good one.

Babydimps (Suzy) Great review, Linda! I'm looking forward to reading this one! Hope I enjoy it as much as you did. 😊

Laurene Enjoyed your review! Had a feeling this one would be picked up for a movie -- I just the screenwriters do it justice.

Holly  B Enjoyed this one and great review Linda!

message 6: by Robin (new)

Robin Fab review, Linda. I've been intrigued with this book just based on the great title and cover, which immediately put me in mind of Rear Window. I'm so glad you found it fun to read!

Carol (Bookaria) I enjoyed this one as well, great review!

Linda Marialyce wrote: "Just picked this one up today at the library. Glad to see it is a good one."

Was on reserve from my library, Marialyce. Hope you enjoy it. :)

Linda Babydimps wrote: "Great review, Linda! I'm looking forward to reading this one! Hope I enjoy it as much as you did. 😊"

Thanks, Babydimps. Starts out slow and slogs for a while with repetition, but then it ramps it up midway and gets oh so good. ;)

Linda Laurene wrote: "Enjoyed your review! Had a feeling this one would be picked up for a movie -- I just the screenwriters do it justice."

Thanks, Laurene. Hope that the movie gets deep into the head of the main character. There's plenty of psychological twists and turns in this one. :)

Linda Holly wrote: "Enjoyed this one and great review Linda!"

Thanks, Holly. So glad that you enjoyed this one, too. Now we can just wait out until the film comes to theaters. Should be a nice twisty to see on the big screen. :D

Linda Robin wrote: "Fab review, Linda. I've been intrigued with this book just based on the great title and cover, which immediately put me in mind of Rear Window. I'm so glad you found it fun to read!"

Thanks, Robin. Clever backdrop by this author with references to all those black and white movies. This one sure has the Hitchcock stamp on it. :)

Linda Carol (Bookaria) wrote: "I enjoyed this one as well, great review!"

Thanks, Carol. Wish we knew when the movie will be coming out. They have lots to work with here. :D

Kaceey Fantastic review Linda! Glad you enjoyed!😊

JanB Great review Linda! It was a slow build-up but I loved every minute of it :-)

Linda Kaceey wrote: "Fantastic review Linda! Glad you enjoyed!😊"

Thanks, Kaceey. A good one that kinda treads water in the beginning and then puts on a speedo to make it to the finish line with heavy breathing. :D

Linda JanB wrote: "Great review Linda! It was a slow build-up but I loved every minute of it :-)"

JanB Linda wrote: "JanB wrote: "Great review Linda! It was a slow build-up but I loved every minute of it :-)"

Thanks, Jan. I agree. Can't wait to see who will play the part of Anna Fox in the movie version. Whoa!!"

It will be a great part for someone! :-)

message 19: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Awesome review Linda have this one will be reading it down the track you made me laugh which is a good thing :)

Linda Thanks, Lisa. Always like to bring a giggle here and there. Haha! Think you'll enjoy it. Can't wait for the movie to come out. 😃📚

Deanna Awesome review!!

Linda Deanna wrote: "Awesome review!!"

Thanks, Deanna. Everyone needs to read this one before the movie comes out. ;)

Linda Hajar wrote: "Terrific review, Linda, no Merlot required 😉🌺"

Thanks, Hajar. Haha!! You may certainly need a beverage of your choice while reading this one. (I felt kinda woozy myself while reading about Anna's Merlot consumption. Hiccup!!) It takes you on a wild ride. :D

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

wonderful review, and i haven't read it to know, but don't underestimate someone's tolerances for vices. 😉

Linda True, paulie. I've seen 90 lb females drink football players under the table. Same with other vices, too. Crazy how that works sometimes. 😳

message 26: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Another zinger of a review from the double decker with mayo to the very last bite of a carpet-marked face! Even when I'm not up for the book, I'm always up for your reviews.

Linda Ah, Victoria, thanks so much. 💜☺️

message 28: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan Terrific review, Linda !!! Excited to read this soon 😁

Linda Thanks, Megan. Hope you enjoy it. Will be interesting to see how the movie plays out. 👍

message 30: by Pat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pat Another great review Linda, and I'm so glad you didn't compare it to The Girl On The Train.

Linda Thanks, Pat. No train involved in this one. Haha! Just trackin' inside her house. 😉

JudiAnne I love your review, Linda. I just finished the audiobook which was well done but I'm still a little bumfuzzled! Thinking out my review right now.

Linda Thanks, Judi Anne. Curious as how they will present the movie version of this one. Complicated and a bit strung out. Haha! 😳

Diana Your BLT with mayo paragraph is the best! 😂😂😂 Love this review. Just finished reading this and I am so excited for the movie version.

Linda Thanks, Diana. This is going to be one crazy movie. Wonder who will sign on for the main characters. 🙀

Barbara I’m nearing the end of this novel.....Love your BLT analogy; so very true! Great review!

Linda Thanks, Barbara. It sure has the makings of an ol' Hitchcock thriller. Just wait for the movie now. 😉

Sterlingcindysu blt layers! yum!

Linda A crazy read, Sterlingcindysu. 😳

message 40: by Sherril (new)

Sherril A Suspense Novelist’s Trail of Deceptions https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...

You MUST either read this or listen. You won’t believe the possible truth about A. J. Finn. i. e. Dan Mallory.

Cheryl Linda- I loved your comment about the amount of medication and wine that she consumed.....so true!