Missy J's Reviews > The Radiance of the King

The Radiance of the King by Camara Laye

it was ok
bookshelves: africa-related, 2017-books, read-in-german

2.5 rounded down.

I read this for a book club's journey to Guinea. There's a lot of praise surrounding this book, unfortunately this is the type of book that is too complex for me to understand. The afterword made me appreciate it more - especially the aspects how Western values are difficult to apply in foreign environments. However, while I was reading this book, I was often too confused about what was going on. It felt too surrealist and many symbols were unknown to me. Even though the ending of the book was exceptional, the first two thirds of the book were difficult to go through. The protagonist Clarence, is a white man who suddenly finds himself alone in the middle of Africa. He wants to meet the king, but that is difficult to arrange of course. He joins two young boys and a beggar and they wander around the land and forest. Unbeknownst to Clarence, he gets sold to a harem. Clarence persistently asks for a job in order to prove his self-worth. But in the end, he realizes that he was going after all the wrong things. The concept is interesting, unfortunately the story didn't appeal to me much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Radiance of the King.

September 6, 2017 – Started Reading
page 110
38.19% "Struggling"
September 7, 2017 –
page 178
61.81% "This whole surrealism thing is confusing."
September 8, 2017 –
page 228
79.17% "Such a strange story!"
September 9, 2017 –
page 268
93.06% "The snake scene is interesting, but the book is now almost over..."
September 10, 2017 – Finished Reading