Siv's Reviews > My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry

My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman

I LOVE THIS BOOK!

I recently reviewed all the titles I've read in the eight months of 2017, and was surprised that there wasn't one I felt over-the-top about. Well, here it is.

This book is a testament to the power of stories. Art imitating life and life drawing on the power of art. I have read Backman's other books this year, and truly enjoyed them, but this one... This one is special.

"Elsa had been very afraid that night, and she had asked Granny what they would do if one day their world crumbled around them.
"And then Granny had squeezed her forefingers hard and replied, 'Then we do what everyone does, we do everything we can.' Elsa had crept up into her lap and asked: 'But what can we do?' And then Granny had kissed her hair and held her hard, hard, hard and whispered: 'We pick up as many children as we can carry, and we run as fast as we can.'" (p132)

"Elsa remembers how Granny said that 'the best stories are never completely realistic and never entirely made-up.' That was what Granny meant when she called certain things 'reality-challenged.' To Granny, there was nothing that was entirely one thing or another. Stories were completely for real and at the same time not." (p171)

"...Elsa decides that even if people she likes have been shits on earlier occasions, she has to learn to carry on liking them. You'd quickly run out of people if you had to disqualify all those who at some point have been shits. She thinks that this will have to be the moral of this story. Christmas stories are supposed to have morals." (p315)

And happy endings. Christmas stories are supposed to have happy endings. And this one does.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry.

Started Reading