Stacia (the 2010 club)'s Reviews > Legend

Legend by Marie Lu

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult, dystopia-or-apocalyptic, science-fiction, action-and-adventure, futuristic
Recommended to Stacia (the 2010 club) by: Buddy read w/Diane and Kristina in Rated YA-MA

She said : I will hunt you down. I will scour the streets of Los Angeles for you. Search every street in the Republic if I have to. I will trick you and deceive you, lie cheat and steal to find you, tempt you out of your hiding place, and chase you until you have nowhere else to run. I make you this promise : your life is mine.

He said : If I did not wish she were dead, I would find her absolutely breathtaking.

The above artwork (minus the crappy text I added from a book quote) was drawn by the author herself. She writes and she does her own artwork? That's pretty badass.

3.5 stars. So this wasn't the most believable dystopia I've ever read (although, let's get real - most of these books are pretty far from believable anyway). So our male character claims he scaled a four-story building in less than five seconds (without assistance or equipment?). So there were at least a few far-fetched moments. And by far-fetched, I'm just going to put it out there that a 15-year-old isn't going to be in a position of such great power in any sort of modern (non-monarchy) based world. Age that girl by even a couple/few years and I might be more likely to buy that people twice her age are taking orders from her.

This time *shrug* I really don't care. I liked the book. It was an engaging read. The entertainment factor was easily 4 stars. We had some action, adventure, and a potential romance based on mutual distrust. Those are all bonus points in my book. There was even a girl-on-girl fight scene and a moment of pistol-whipping. Yes, please. Don't judge me. Sometimes, I like it when people throw down, and watching June pistol-whip Day made me laugh.

One aspect which did fascinate me was both Day and June's ability to notice small details, such as what direction a voice would be coming from through a speaker, or how a person could be recognized by the type of knot they tied into their cloak. This is something which did work its way into the bigger picture of their story and I liked how that all unfolded.

The instalove question - Is it or isn't it? I'm going with no. Instant attraction, thoughts of wanting to kiss someone, thinking a lot about a person when they're not around...that's all pretty normal for the age, no? At least it was for me at that age (not that I'm claiming to have ever been normal). There was only one scene which sort of hit that silly mark for me in this department, but it wasn't that big of a deal.

June and Day were kind of cute, in that brother/sister dangerous boy-meets-dangerous girl kind of way. So the chemistry wasn't off the charts. They have miles to go, I'm guessing. We'll get there.

I liked some of the side characters and potential villains. Can't wait to see what's up next for them.

Book 2 - let's see what you got!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Legend.

September 19, 2011 – Shelved
May 6, 2013 –
50.0% "Why was I under the impression that this was going to suck? I'm liking this book a lot more than I'd expected to."
Started Reading
May 7, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle [Helen Geek] I've heard good things about this series.

message 2: by Kay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kay I really liked this one!

Jersey This one is on my wishlist! People said it's good.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I hope so! Only a couple of chapters in, so I don't know what to think yet.

Tina Finally starting!

Stacia (the 2010 club) Okay, done with review. Fun book with a few unbelievable moments that make me shake my head. It wasn't enough to make me dislike the book though because it was entertaining.

Kristina, heading over to yours now.

Ellie The second one is even better. Hope you will like it :). I really liked them a lot and now I can't wait for the final book which comes out in November!!!

Stacia (the 2010 club) I am going to have to read it soon. I'm really hoping that at least one character (view spoiler)

Jenny Day is all about the hardcore parkour.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Harcore parkour makes me think of a Daniel Tosh skit from his show.

4 stories in less than 5 seconds? So about 1 story per second. Is this even possible without mechanical assistance?

Heather K (dentist in my spare time) Nice review sweetie!

Jenny It could be done if the building had a good layout for it, probably, with some good spots to grab onto or jump from.

I liked Legend. I did think some of the plot was predictable and I didn't like it that Day and June's voices were so similar - in an alternating POV book I want more distinction of voice. But I enjoyed it back when I read it and I've heard Prodigy is better so I'll pick that up at some point.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Normally, I'm all over PoV's that sound the same, and I see that this was a complaint from a lot of people. I'm not sure why it didn't bother me like it usually would.

Eva Rose This book is not necessarily a 4 star one but it has its wildly entertaining moments that's for sure. The sequel is way better however.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Glad to hear! I'm looking forward to it.

message 17: by SheReadsALot (new)

SheReadsALot Lol. Pistol Whipping. Great review.

Mai is a Happy Bibliophile I hope you like Prodigy, Stacia. :)

Stacia (the 2010 club) I have the feeling that I am going to!

Rachel the Book Harlot Great review, Stacia. :) This is one of those books that I've been considering for a long time but can't seem to make up my mind about. It seems to be firmly entrenched in the "maybe" column. I guess it's one of those things where it has to be the right time, the right place, and the right head space.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I understand that. A lot of books are ones that get filed under the 'when I'm not in the mood to question everything' category.

Joanna Marie OMG this breaks my heart but yeah I agree about the 4-story building part and climbing it in less than 5 seconds LOL.

message 24: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah Alvord I think you pretty much hit that review on the head. Exactly how I felt about it!

Stacia (the 2010 club) I invade people's minds and steal their thoughts before they realize they're thinking them. Or at least, I wish I did.

Joanna wrote: "OMG this breaks my heart but yeah I agree about the 4-story building part and climbing it in less than 5 seconds LOL."

Haha. At least it wasn't anything big to question.