Victor Davis's Reviews > The Federalist Papers

Sep 05, 2017

it was ok
bookshelves: reference
Read from July 03 to 27, 2017

I am glad to have read the introduction to this book and understood the historical context for it. At a time when the colonies were bound only by the Articles of Confederation and what is now the Constitution was then just a proposition for their review, these three authors used the power of the pen to fight to defend it against its detractors. Sounds like the subject of a great non-fiction book or a documentary. However, although Madison is the strongest of the three writers, none are all that inspirational in their rhetoric. I found the text dull and historic in the worst possible meaning of the term. A far more entertaining and enlightening read is Common Sense. I have now read 5/6 of this Civic Classics series and look forward to finish it by checking out American Political Speeches. Of the five I have read, I'd give the strongest recommendation to Supreme Court Decisions. These decisions, both past and present, paint the clearest picture of what it means to be American, what the experiment is all about, where it has failed, and where it has succeeded.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Federalist Papers.

09/05/2017 marked as: read