Megan✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦'s Reviews > Behind the Bars

Behind the Bars by Brittainy C. Cherry

“Who knew things could be painfully beautiful?”

Wow! This book was everything I was hoping for and more… much more. I am a huge fan of Brittainy C. Cherry and have been ever since reading Loving Mr. Daniels a few years ago, and then I fell even harder for her after each one of the Elements stories. Behind the Bars is a phenomenal story of love, hope, friendship and two lonely souls coming together through their love of music. If there is one book you need to check out this year, or ever, it is this one. Brittainy C. Cherry’s writing is sensational and I felt this story on such a deep level, right down to my very core.

“I didn’t see him at first- I felt him, felt his music crawl along my skin. The chords and bars of his saxophone sent chills down my spine. It sounded magical, the way the notes danced through the air, so hauntingly beautiful.”

Elliott was a sweet boy who felt music; he was someone who had one of those connections with music that meant he lived and breathed it. Music was a part of him and he was a part of music, especially Jazz music and he could play the saxophone like nobody else.

Elliott’s high school years were rough to say the least. He was repeatedly bullied, harassed, name called and humiliated. Elliott wanted nothing more than to be invisible and just try to survive each day. Bullying is never ok and what Elliott suffered was utterly heartbreaking, but he learnt to accept it as a way of life, which is devastating and sad beyond all belief.

“He was so skinny and fragile, and I swore I weighed three times as much as him, but he loved me just as much as I loved him. He was all bones, and I was all meat. His skin was painted caramel, and mine was as white as cream. We were polar opposites. We weren’t meant to fall for one another, but when we blended together, we were some kind of beautiful.”

High school was Jasmine’s happy place; time away from her overbearing mom who worked Jasmine to the bone and was a place where she felt free. Jasmine was beautiful and popular and to the outside world had very few problems, but looks can be deceiving. Jasmine’s mom was living vicariously through her in the hopes that her daughter could make her dreams come true by becoming the next pop star. Was it really what Jasmine wanted though? She lived and breathed soul music, but according to her mom there was no money in soul.

“I knew I was young, and I knew it was stupid, but in that moment, I began to fall in love with the quiet boy who quietly cared for me. The boy who was scared and still strong. The boy who stood up for me when he was surrounded by reasons not to do such a thing.”

You can live your whole life surrounded by people, but still be the loneliest person in the world. This was life for Jasmine, maybe people just didn’t understand her.

When Jasmine and Elliott met there was such a profound connection between the two that it literally seemed like they had found the other part to their soul. They were both different in so many ways, but together they found strength and hope in a lonely and hopeless world.

Some aspects of this story I found hard to read as it dealt with the devastation of bullying and the horrific treatment of another human being. I felt deeply, I cried and my heart broke as the scenes unfolded before me about what happens when bullying is taken to the next level.

This was such a beautiful and heart wrenching story that completely consumed me, broke me and healed me all at once. This story means so much to me on such a deep level and I know without a doubt I won’t ever forget this story and I urge everyone to read this story as you will no doubt feel similarly to what I felt.

Follow us on facebook Follow us on instagram

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Behind the Bars.

September 5, 2017 – Shelved
December 7, 2017 – Shelved as: second_chance_love
December 7, 2017 – Shelved as: sweet_guys
December 7, 2017 – Shelved as: tortured
December 7, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)

Jenny••Steamy Reads Blog•• Enjoy, darling!! I can't wait to hear your thoughts! xox

Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog Hope you enjoy it Sweetie! :)
xoxo

Megan✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ Jenny wrote: "Enjoy, darling!! I can't wait to hear your thoughts! xox"

Thanks babe. Loved it beyond words :) xx

Megan✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ Patty Belongs To Kellan~Jesse~Lautner~Miller~Jack~Racer~Rafe~Liam~Prince Nicholas~Hayes~Simon~Gianluca & Archer wrote: "Hope you enjoy it Sweetie! :)
xoxo"

Thanks so much beautiful. I loved it so much :) xx

message 5: by Karla (new)

Karla Lovely review, darlin’! I’m glad this book moved you so much. xx

message 6: by Nazanin (new)

Nazanin Amazing review, babe! Glad you loved it so much! 💜

message 7: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Terrific review, lovey xx

Christy Fabulous review, dear! xoxo

Jenny••Steamy Reads Blog•• Amazing review, babe!!! Definitely one I have to read!! Love her books ❤️💋

Megan✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ Karla wrote: "Lovely review, darlin’! I’m glad this book moved you so much. xx"

Thanks so much lovely. It was so good. Loved everything about it :) xx

Megan✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ Nazanin wrote: "Amazing review, babe! Glad you loved it so much! 💜"

Thanks darling. I really did, it was amazing :) xx

Megan✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ Nicola wrote: "Terrific review, lovey xx"

Thanks so much sweetie :) xx

Megan✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ Christy wrote: "Fabulous review, dear! xoxo"

Thanks lovely :) xx

Megan✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ Jenny wrote: "Amazing review, babe!!! Definitely one I have to read!! Love her books ❤️💋"

Thanks hun. It was so so so good. You definitely have to read this one soon. I always love her books too :) xx

message 15: by Sophia (new)

Sophia Triad Great review Megan ❤

Sophie "Beware Of The Reader" Fantastic review Megan!! I was also shocked sometimes. Brittainy certainly wrote a masterpiece! ;-) xoxo

Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth Can't wait to read this, happy you loved it! xx

Megan✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ Sophia wrote: "Great review Megan ❤"

Thanks so much Sophia :) xx

Megan✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ Sophie "Beware Of The Reader" wrote: "Fantastic review Megan!! I was also shocked sometimes. Brittainy certainly wrote a masterpiece! ;-) xoxo"

Thanks Sophie. I know, I mean how fantastic was it? She certainly knows how to write.

Megan✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ Astrid - ☆Vanilla & Spice Books☆ wrote: "Can't wait to read this, happy you loved it! xx"

Thanks babe. I hope you love it as much as me :) xx

message 21: by Malene (new)

Malene Stunning review, Megan

message 22: by Whitney (new) - added it

Whitney Beautiful review, Megan! I can't wait to read this!

Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog AMAZING review Darling! :)
xoxo

Megan✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ Malene_D *BadAndDirtyBooks* wrote: "Stunning review, Megan"

Thanks so much Malene :) xx

Megan✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ Whitney wrote: "Beautiful review, Megan! I can't wait to read this!"

Thanks heaps Whitney :) xx

Megan✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ Patty Belongs To Kellan~Jesse~Lautner~Miller~Jack~Racer~Rafe~Liam~Prince Nicholas~Hayes~Simon~Gianluca & Archer wrote: "AMAZING review Darling! :)
xoxo"

Thanks sweetie :) xx

message 27: by ally (new)

ally Terrific review, sweets! Glad you enjoyed this! xoxo

SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ Stunning review Megan! Love it! xoox

Megan✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ Allyreadsaton_ wrote: "Terrific review, sweets! Glad you enjoyed this! xoxo"

Thanks hun. It was so good :) xx

Megan✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ wrote: "Stunning review Megan! Love it! xoox"

Awww thanks Sue :) xx

message 31: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Absolutely brilliant review, Megan! xoxo

Megan✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ Melissa wrote: "Absolutely brilliant review, Megan! xoxo"

Thanks so much Melissa :) xx

message 33: by Liz (new)

Liz Excellent review my friend!

Megan✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ Elizabeth wrote: "Excellent review my friend!"

Thanks so much lovely :) xx