Jessie Seymour's Reviews > Her Book Boyfriend

Her Book Boyfriend by K.R. Grace

did not like it
bookshelves: net-galley, books-i-hated, review-copy

*** I received a copy through Netgalley for an honest review***

I gave this book one star. I went into this expecting a cute fluffy romance, a light read. Instead a got something rage inducing laden with misogyny. It was probably the worst book I read this year it made me so angry.

A book about a bookworm, what’s not to love? Well, a lot of things. I was really liking the protagonist, up until we found out about her list and she started saying things all these misogynistic things, like no, this is the twenty first century, girls can protect themselves. It bothered me more that she said this to her guy friends who were like “No, that’s stupid”. I’m a bit shocked by this.

The entire premise of this book was so interesting and cute, but the way it actually played out didn’t live up. The same girl who said “… it’s their [men’s] job to protect women” also had the thought “why does everyone think I was this helpless little zebra just waiting to be turned into a lions dinner?”

This book was also slightly offensive, but it didn’t know it was being offensive, that’s what made it worse. It made this 144 page book feel more like 500 pages.

The protagonist just got worse as the story went on, I wanted to shake her so hard because she was just so stupid. She would state a set of standards and then break those standards. Also, she was a Mary Sue, there was “nothing” wrong with her, and all the guys she “dated” became stalkers near the end because they loved her so much. It was sickening to read.

I wouldn’t recommend this to anyone. Usually I try to have something nice to say, but I have nothing this time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Her Book Boyfriend.

September 4, 2017 – Shelved
September 4, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
September 7, 2017 – Started Reading
September 7, 2017 –
12.0% ""It's their (men) job to protect women" what the actual fuck?"
September 10, 2017 –
70.0% "This book is literal trash and I can't believe I am reading this with my own two eyes. I would DNF this book but I'm too stubborn to give up."
September 11, 2017 – Shelved as: net-galley
September 11, 2017 – Shelved as: books-i-hated
September 11, 2017 – Finished Reading
November 28, 2017 – Shelved as: review-copy

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Cal (new)