Norma's Reviews > The Child Finder

The Child Finder by Rene Denfeld

bookshelves: traveling-sister-reads, favorite-reads-of-2017

Wow!  This book was an absolutely fantastic 5 star read!

Traveling Sisters Read with Norma & Lindsay

CHILD FINDER by RENE DENFELD is a disturbing, haunting, unique, captivating, and an absolutely exceptional novel that had us totally engaged, entertained, and intrigued throughout this whole book. This book was so magically well-written with such beautiful prose that had us savouring every single word while we were reading it. We really wanted to take our time and enjoy the writing style instead of rushing right through it to get to the end.  Even after finishing it we are still finding that we can’t stop thinking about this book.

RENE DENFELD delivers a vivid and beautifully written story here with absolutely fantastic character development, wonderful narrative, and an extremely enthralling storyline. We both really enjoyed the magical realism aspect within the storyline and thought it was an absolute perfect mix of fiction and fantastical elements.

The story is uniquely told from multiple points of view and incorporated into the storyline from Madison’s point of view are fantastical elements which really added to the storyline which was extremely unique and compelling to show us how she coped with being held captive for so many years. Through the strong female character of Naomi’s perspective and The Child Finder we delved into her hidden past and her story and character kept us intrigued and captivated right to the very end.

To sum it all up it was an interesting, engrossing, unforgettable, emotional, and an enjoyable read that left us both feeling totally satisfied with the extremely touching ending.  It just left us wanting a little bit more from our main character Naomi as we still have a few questions about her past as we would love to learn more about her and would absolutely love it if perhaps there might be a sequel in the future!  We would absolutely love that!  Would highly recommend! This book quickly went into our favourites read shelf for 2017!

We are definitely going to be reading Denfeld’s previous novel, The Enchanted!  We both can’t wait to read that!

Cautionary warning - There is an element of child abuse, but it is nothing too graphic and in our opinion it was handled extremely well and with care.

All of our Traveling Sisters Reviews can be found on our sister blog:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Child Finder.

September 4, 2017 – Shelved
September 15, 2017 – Started Reading
September 18, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)

Deanna I'm happy to see those 5 stars :) Looking forward to your review :)

Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews What a fantastic book to read together Norma!! Love love loved this one! Always fun reading with you!

message 3: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie YAY! Five stars!! Awesome review, Norma! Hopefully, I can get a copy soon!

Norma Deanna wrote: "I'm happy to see those 5 stars :) Looking forward to your review :)"

Thanks Deanna! I am so far behind in my reviews. lol

Norma Lindsay wrote: "What a fantastic book to read together Norma!! Love love loved this one! Always fun reading with you!"

I loved reading this one with you too Lindsay! I agree always fun! :-)

Norma Julie wrote: "YAY! Five stars!! Awesome review, Norma! Hopefully, I can get a copy soon!"

Thanks so much, Julie! I hope that you get it soon too! It was a fantastic book! :-)

message 7: by j e w e l s (new) - added it

j e w e l s looking forward to your review, Norma! I just now see this is set in Oregon? definitely want to read now!

Norma j e w e l s wrote: "looking forward to your review, Norma! I just now see this is set in Oregon? definitely want to read now!"

Thank you, Jewels! Hopefully we will get to our review soon. So behind.....lol
The setting of this book was so good and I loved it! I hope that you enjoy it too!

message 9: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Yay!! Glad to see your 5 stars

Norma Jen wrote: "Yay!! Glad to see your 5 stars"

It was a fantastic book, Jen! I hope that you love it too! :-)

message 11: by Miriam (new) - added it

Miriam Smith (A Mother’s Musings) Glad you enjoyed it Norma 📚👍📚

Norma Miriam wrote: "Glad you enjoyed it Norma 📚👍📚"

Thank you, Miriam! It was so good! :-)

Cheri Yes! So glad you loved this, Norma!

Norma Thank you, Cheri! It was a fantastic book!

message 15: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah Joint Beautiful review, Norma!

message 16: by Candace (new) - added it

Candace Terrific review, Norma!

Jaline Great review, Norma! I enjoyed The Enchanted but had seen some mixed reviews of this one so I wasn't sure. It's back on my wishlist now! :)

Norma Sarah wrote: "Beautiful review, Norma!"

Thank you so much, Sarah! :-)

Norma Kayla wrote: "FANTABULOUS review Norma"

Thank you so much, Kayla! :-)

Norma Candace wrote: "Terrific review, Norma!"

Thank you so much, Candace! :-)

Mary Beth Fantastic Review Norma! This just came in on Overdrive. I will be reading this very soon. Love all the stars!

Norma Jaline wrote: "Great review, Norma! I enjoyed The Enchanted but had seen some mixed reviews of this one so I wasn't sure. It's back on my wishlist now! :)"

Thank you so much, Jaline! Oh, I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed The Enchanted. I hope to read it sometime in the future.....lol
Glad to hear it is back on your wish list! We loved this book! I hope that you enjoy it too! :-)

JanB Wow, this sounds great! Your enthusiasm for this book makes me excited to read it!

Kaceey Fantastic review Norma:-) so glad you both loved this one! I can’t wait to read it!

message 25: by Kendall (new) - added it

Kendall Fantastic review Norma!!! I'm looking forward to reading this eventually! Lol

message 26: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa EXCELLENT review Norma!! Glad it was a 5/5

message 27: by Debbie (new)

Debbie After that great review I will definitely add this one to my tbr list!

Meredith ( on Semi-Hiatus until February) Glad you loved it, Norma. I can't wait to read The Enchanted. Great review!

message 29: by Jan (new) - added it

Jan Wow! What a wonderful review, Norma!! This book sounds great! I will have to bump this one to the top of my TBR!!

Norma Thank you so much, Mary Beth! Oh I am so happy that you will be reading this book soon!! It was absolutely fantastic and I am hoping that you find it a great read too! Enjoy! 😊

Norma It was such an awesome book Jan and I hope that you love it too! I get so excited after finishing a great book and I am glad I have gotten you a little excited to read it too! 😊

message 32: by Dana (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dana Love seeing all the enthusiasm and great review! I have this book to look forward to soon! 😊

Norma Thank you so much, Kaceey! I think you will absolutely love this one too!

Norma Thank you so much, Kendall! So many books lol

Norma Thank you so much, Vanessa!

Norma Thank you so much, Debbie! So glad you are adding to your list! Happy reading!

Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Excellent review, Norma! I am glad you and Lindsay enjoyed this one. I am looking forward to reading it

message 38: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Wow...sounds excellent Norma! Love the review!!

Norma Meredith wrote: "Glad you loved it, Norma. I can't wait to read The Enchanted. Great review!"

Thank you so much, Meredith! I am quite excited to read The Enchanted now too!

Norma Jan wrote: "Wow! What a wonderful review, Norma!! This book sounds great! I will have to bump this one to the top of my TBR!!"

Thank you so much, Jan! We thought it was pretty fantastic and didn't want it to end. I am so hoping that there will be a sequel it was that good. lol
I hope that you love this book too! Happy reading!

Norma Dana wrote: "Love seeing all the enthusiasm and great review! I have this book to look forward to soon! 😊"

Thank you so much and wonderful Dana! I sure hope that you enjoy it too! It was pretty awesome!

Norma Brenda wrote: "Excellent review, Norma! I am glad you and Lindsay enjoyed this one. I am looking forward to reading it"

Thank you so much, Brenda! You will have to definitely fit it in!

Norma Holly wrote: "Wow...sounds excellent Norma! Love the review!!"

Thank you so much, Holly! It was an extremely enjoyable and fantastic book!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Fantastic 5 star review, Norma 💕😊

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Norma Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ wrote: "Fantastic 5 star review, Norma 💕😊"

Thank you so much, Melissa! :-)

Norma paulie wrote: "this is in my collection. i need to find time for this child. another gem in yr jewelry store of reviews."

Awesome, Paulie and thanks again for your great comment! They always make me smile! :-)

Diane S ☔ Wonderful review, Norma.

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Yay! Outstanding review, Norma! I love it when the book is as good as its cover!

message 50: by Tom Swift (new)

Tom Swift Wow, great review, looks great.

« previous 1