Giselle's Reviews > Insurgent

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Sep 19, 2011

Read from May 01 to 13, 2012

There is no denying that this was one of the most anticipated titles of the year. I, like many others, quickly became enthralled inside Veronica Roth's dystopian world where factions decide our values, and fitting in is of the upmost importance. This sequel, although still exciting, is a much somber book centering on Tris' grief and self discovery, rather than on the plot itself.

"Grief is not as heavy as guilt, but it takes more away from you."

Divergent's ending undoubtedly left most of us inside a bubble of emotion. Every war has casualties - this one is no different. In Insurgent, we see the aftermath of this grief. Tris struggles with regret, guilt, and depression; she is quite different from the tough, resilient character we got to know. I understand completely why these changes in her personality occurred. I really do. Her life has been blown to smithereens. It still didn't stop me from eventually getting annoyed by her constant self pity. The moodiness and bitchiness seemed to go on endlessly. Consequently, Four gets fed up with her self-destructive attitude and becomes kind of a jerk. On one hand, I value Tris' moments of clarity that stem from her reflections of her own character. She comes to truly honorable decisions, proving her Divergent state further. But it doesn't erase the fact that this is a very long book filled with a lot of angst. Let's just say I will be happy to (hopefully) get the old Tris back again in the third book.

With Tris' PTSD, and Four's frustrations, we get a very confusing, emotional romance. Their connection was built in Divergent and now they're struggling. I applaud at how the relationship is handled in a situation where there's so much interference. Their extreme circumstances forces them to work through endless disagreements and unimaginable obstacles. What we get is a very distressing, perilous relationship, but genuinely realistic. Where most people would have given up, these two stubborn beings keep fighting for each other, picking up the other's broken pieces. It's believable and touching, however it's not easygoing on our emotions.

You're going to have to keep your head in gear during this story. There is a lot of back and forth between the faction compounds; if you don't read it in one sitting it's easy to lose track of where they are, or what their intentions are in any particular moment. I wasn't confused more than I wanted to get to the point; the shuffling around can make the plot feel like it's dragging at times. What we learned about these factions in the first book gets a bit more complicated in this one when everyone seems to band together to fight the war. Factions are divided among themselves, and now we have the factionless who we learn aren't the dismal, society degrading derelicts they've been portrayed as. This is only one tidbit of the expanding world building that we attain in this sequel. We get a better glimpse inside the factions at a more personal level. We also broaden our knowledge of the past which makes us understand how we resulted in this post apocalyptic state. In turn, this awakens us to the world beyond the fence. Although most of this information is only dispersed at the very end - promising an extremely intriguing third installment.

A solid addition to the series, Insurgent dishes out enough world development to give a good momentum to the story, in addition to great character and relationship building. The characters especially go through drastic changes which may get different reactions from some, but in the end I found it important for Tris to have searched out who she is, besides being a natural progression to where we were left off in Divergent.
__

Want to refresh your memory on Divergent? http://veronicarothbooks.blogspot.ca/...

For more of my reviews, visit my blog at Xpresso Reads

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insurgent.

05/01/2012
20.0% "What's with "Tobias"? His name is four! FOUR! *twitch*

*whispers stalkerishly* I love you" 6 comments
05/10/2012
53.0% "Four is kind of a jerk in this one huh? And Tris is cranky!" 5 comments

Anjana I just finished it! I'm speechless.

Giselle Yay!!

Micheline Gah! I'm going to pick it up tomorrow and that one extra day is driving me CRAZY! Enjoy :)

Michelle Sharp I won't be getting mine until Thursday or Friday. Damn living in a small town!!

Giselle I got it for Kobo. No waiting! :D

Micheline - check at Costco I'll bet they have it! For half the price of anywhere else.

Micheline Thanks Giselle, I will :)

Lindsay I'm getting mine from the library (I know, I know! How can I possibly wait?!)

Giselle Lindsay wrote: "I'm getting mine from the library (I know, I know! How can I possibly wait?!)"

Omg is there a huge waiting list? Are you gonna have to wait long?

Lindsay Giselle wrote: "Lindsay wrote: "I'm getting mine from the library (I know, I know! How can I possibly wait?!)"

Omg is there a huge waiting list? Are you gonna have to wait long?"

I'm 44 on the waiting list, but they have 13 copies. Shouldn't take too long. The biggest problem is that it could take WEEKS for the books to all be processed into their system! I figure if I get to read it by next month, I'll be lucky.

Juhina omg NOT ME, I havent received my copy yet! *shoots self*

Giselle @Lindsay: 44? Wow! Hopefully they read quick! :)

Juhina Giselle wrote: "@Lindsay: 44? Wow! Hopefully they read quick! :)

@Juhina: Bahaha. That's why I got it for Kobo. I also ordered a hardcopy but I have no gun, so.."

well I also got it on my ibooks but i can't bring myself to read it on my iPad, i want the actual book!

message 13: by Ava (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ava Thanks so much for the recap page! I started reading the 2nd book but couldn't remember the characters or the factions.... O.o

message 14: by Lori (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lori my thoughts exactly. It grew on me as I read. I had to bump my review up because a lot of details and plot sunk in after I got done reading it.

Giselle I took a while to read this compared to usual to I didn't get into it as much as the first. I felt confused sometimes bc they were jumping from one location to another I kept forgetting where the heck they were at O_O I found it quite different from the first.

Henrietta I just finished reading and listening to the book - having an audio version helps me get into the mood of reading it :)

message 17: by Lori (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lori I really enjoyed the first. This one had a little bit of a filler novel feel to it. I hate to say that. I really do, but we really weren't given any new info until the last few pages.

Lindsay I'm still waiting.......

Giselle Lindsay wrote: "I'm still waiting......."

44 on the waiting list right? Eeep.

@Lori: I agree it was very middle book. The 3rd could be super good though that ending is interesting!

@Henrietta: Glad you enjoyed it! :)

Lindsay No, I'm 41 now. Some people gave up and bought it.

message 21: by Lori (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lori Love the full review. Exactly what I was thinking. Cannot wait to read the next book and see what happens. I want the old Tris and Four back. Enough of this Tobias crap!!

Giselle Thanks Lori! And I know what is up with Tobias? His name is FOUR!! FOUR, DAMNIT!! xD Super intrigued by the ending I can't wait to see what she does with book 3. I hope it doesn't disappoint.

Jasprit I totally agree the character changes are quite dramatic from the first book and there's so much to get you're head around with this one! Fantastic review Giselle! :)

Giselle Thanks Jasprit! I think the 3rd book Tris may be back to her old self or at least not a dramatic as in this one.

Lindsay You guys are scaring me! I liked the characters the way they were! Now I'm going to dread reading it....

Giselle Lindsay wrote: "You guys are scaring me! I liked the characters the way they were! Now I'm going to dread reading it...."

Both Tris and Four are pretty different. Tris has PTSD and basically doesn't want to live anymore with what she did at the end of Divergent. And Four is kind of a jerk bc he gets fed up with her. It gets a bit annoying but it's also realistic as a consequence of what happened.

Lindsay I suppose. But is there anything wrong with wanting my fictional characters to be unrealistic? ;)

Giselle Haha not at all :) The reviews have been really mixed about this one I'll be curious to see what you think!

Lindsay I'll let you know in about two months... *grrr*

Giselle Baha. well at least you'll have a lesser wait for the 3rd book!

Lindsay Although it won't help if the third book takes months of waiting as well. (Sorry, I'm a little low on optimism this morning.)

Giselle :) Put your name on the waiting list for book 3 now!

Lindsay A month later, and I'm down to #19!! One more month?

Giselle It's getting there!!

Ayana I have to read this from the library. I'm on hold... But there are 34 copies and 347 people waiting in line. Arg.

Ayana I decided to borrow it from my friend who owns the book instead. Yay!

message 37: by Emma (new)

Emma Cooper Honestly out of the series, this book was my favorite. A sequel is not an easy feat, but I think Roth did pretty well. Not only did Roth start the second book an hour or less from when the first book ended, but there were so many twists and turns it was extremely difficult to put the book down. I agree with you though completely when you said that even with all of its drama and excitement, it focuses more on Tris trying to find herself in the mess that her life became at the end of the first novel. I really liked that approach to the story and it was much needed after seeing Tris' life being destroyed right in front of her. I also agree with you on what you said about Tobias being a jerk. I especially hated when he brought Tris to the meeting with his mom just to get her opinion on the situatio and when Tris said that she thought Evelyn's (Tobais's mom) plan was ridden with death in the future Tobias totally ignored her (I think he did just because he hadn't seen his mother in such a long time and finding out that she wasn't dead he became a real mama's boy). Outside of that he still protected Tris whenever he could which was the sweet, sensitive, caring side I liked about him.

Meghan Great review! Know of any other books that are similar that might be a good read?