Lisa *OwlBeSatReading*'s Reviews > The Diary of a Bookseller

The Diary of a Bookseller by Shaun Bythell

bookshelves: books-about-books, non-fiction, scottish-loveliness

Oh Shaun, your hatred for Kindles and stroppy, tight-fisted customers shines through in your highly entertaining diary! I wish I could get away with customer service 'Bythell Style', but I doubt I'd be employed for very long! The advantages of being your own boss I guess.

Next time I come across a book with age-related mould on it, I will undoubtedly be visualising some dude in a protective suit, complete with breathing apparatus, whipping it out of my hand to dispose of it safely.

I thoroughly enjoyed The Diary of a Bookseller, what's not to love?!

For starters, it's about a second hand bookshop in my most favourite place ever. SCOTLAND.

Shaun gets to rummage through thousands and thousands and thousands of books FOR A LIVING!!!

It gave me a fascinating insight into being part of the second hand book industry, and it definitely isn't all bookish loveliness.

Did I say this delightful shop is in SCOTLAND? Oh yeah, I did.

Hey, Shaun, I'm coming up for a visit in the summer. I promise I'll put the books I look at back where I found them. (Even if they are possibly in the wrong section already. Sigh.....*Shakes head*).

I promise I won't come in armed with a pencil, writing in my own prices on the inside page. I am SHOOK that book lovers even do this!

And I'll BUY some books too. And possibly a walking stick.

Thank you Shaun for sharing a year of your bookish life. I sincerely hope that your Aladdins Cave continues to prosper for many, many years. Bookshops are sadly an endangered species these days thanks to that flipping internet lark.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diary of a Bookseller.

September 3, 2017 – Shelved
page 221
April 10, 2018 –
page 242
May 2, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Crumb (new)

Crumb Excellent review!

Lisa *OwlBeSatReading* Crumb wrote: "Excellent review!"

Lol! It was a short and sweet one, but thank you 😀

Aisling It was a great read!

Lisa *OwlBeSatReading* I loved it Aisling 😀

message 5: by C. (new)

C. Lisa, books are not endangered. Many of us love the physical object and it can be seen that Kindles aren't chasing this away. I loved Scotland too; I hope you had a great trip! Carolyn.