David James's Reviews > The Night Parade

The Night Parade by Kathryn Tanquary

U 50x66

liked it

Saki Yamamoto is a normal girl from Tokyo, Japan who lives a busy life and tries to fit in at her school. When she goes to her grandma's over the weekend. Then, everything changes. When she unfortunately meets the village's delinquents, she is forced into a malicious dare and awakens a death curse she needs to reverse in 3 days with the help of 3 spirit guides.

This book reminded me of Spirited Away (which I love watching) so decided to get it. Although not as great as I thought it was, its good.

My favorite relationship between two characters in the book was Saki and Maeda. Maeda is a girl who has lived in the village for her whole life. She is about the same age as Saki and aids her in the adventure. Although she isn't in the book for more then about 65 pages out of the 320, ever page where Maeda and Saki interact are well written. Besides a hand full of pages between the two, which feel like they were rushed. Although there were a couple other interactions which I liked. Including, Saki and her grandma and the Tengu. There were some pages with the grandma and Saki which made me a little sad (although this not my favorite relationship in the book, it is the most significant). Also, there are hints in the book about the grandma and her involved with something (not saying it because of spoilers) but, it never is clearly explained to the reader which I think was a good decision. Then, the Tengu is the second spirit guide who gets a little background on who he was. And, helps Saki get through the area. The reason he is my favorite spirit guide is because he has some background. So we know why the Tengu is like this. But then, there is Saki's family. And, sadly, felt lackluster. Because, Saki's brother didn't get a good conclusion (he's also doesn't get any time in the book), and the mother was just to exist. But, Saki's dad was good and how he changes overtime in the book.

The plot was a simple "reverse the curse" with a mostly slow plot with some action that's not "jump out of your seat exciting" but its there.

In conclusion, "The Night Parade" is a good book with a decent pacing but unfortunately does fall into cliche holes once or twice. It also doesn't really explain anything in the Spirit world. With O.K. side characters, and a magical spirit world, "The Night Parade" is the book for you. And i'm giving it a 7.3/10
-David James
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Parade.

August 24, 2017 – Started Reading