Jacqueline Gunn's Reviews > Out Of The Dark

Out Of The Dark by Marshall Hughes

Out of the Dark is as much a work of psychological fiction, as it is a dark, somewhat erotic, crime fiction. Hughes did a masterful job creating Jayden Edward Scott, our protagonist - who is a serial killer, but is complex and easy to empathize with. It's in a similar vein as other brilliant works, such as Silence of the Lambs, where we understand motivation behind kills to such a degree that the twisted logic of a revenge-filled murderer makes sense. And, in many ways, we want them win. This, to me, is a sophisticated understanding of human psychology with the gray (and dark) areas that exist within all of us. Gripping.

The closer I got to the end, the more I realized that we (as readers) were only at the beginning of Jayden Edward Scott's nefarious decline. And yet, despite the ever-evolving evil within, I still felt for him.

I highly recommend this book to lovers of crime fiction and psychological fiction. Anyone who is interested in the darker aspects of the human psyche will love this book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out Of The Dark.

September 3, 2017 – Started Reading