Andrea's Reviews > Hippy Days, Arabian Nights

Hippy Days, Arabian Nights by Katherine Boland

it was ok
bookshelves: mwf, australian-author, challenge, non-fiction, around-the-world-2019

This was a memoir of two halves, literally written in two parts. The first half covered the first marriage of Australian artist Katherine Boland, including a number of flashbacks or sidetracks into her childhood, through to her 40s. Then the second half - commencing at the 51% mark on my Kindle - covered the next 5 years during which she was having a largely long-distance relationship with an Egyptian man. To be honest I wasn't really satisfied with either part.

The timespan in the first half was too great, so it seemed like events were brushed over. I didn't come away with a sense of what it was like to be a hippy in southern NSW, other than an appreciation of how cold it must have been during winter. And then the second part had way too much detail, but not about the aspect that interested me. I'm confident that I understand the feelings of love and despair that marked the doomed relationship, but I didn't learn very much about what it was like, on the ground in Egypt, during that turbulent period from 2010-2015 (beginning with the Arab Spring).

On the positive side, Boland has an engaging style of writing that is quick and easy to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hippy Days, Arabian Nights.

September 1, 2017 – Shelved
July 17, 2019 – Started Reading
July 17, 2019 –
21.0% "Struggling to be interested in this."
July 20, 2019 –
July 22, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Dale (new)

Dale Harcombe Good balanced review Andrea. Hope you next read is a beauty.

Andrea Dale wrote: "Good balanced review Andrea. Hope you next read is a beauty."

Thanks Dale - onto something completely different now!

message 3: by Alex (new)

Alex Cantone Good honest review. Pass!!!!

Andrea Alex wrote: "Good honest review. Pass!!!!"

🙂

message 5: by Diana (new)

Diana Good review.