Chelsea Humphrey's Reviews > The Nightingale

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

47207032

bookshelves: suspenseful-clues-and-thrilling-rev, favorites

I'm not sure what I can say about this book that hasn't already been said, but the quality and sheer excellence to this story blew my mind. I'm not typically a fan of historical fiction, which is likely why I've avoided it for so long, but once this was described to me as "historical fiction light" I felt it was safe to take a gamble on it. When we decided for this to be the Suspenseful Clues and Thrilling Reviews September book choice, I was nervous because WHAT IF I HATED THIS BELOVED BOOK?!

Clearly this is a WWII saga, but at heart I felt this was a variety of love stories. Sure there was romance, but I'm talking the love for a people, the love for a country, and the love for fighting for all that is good and right. It'll be awhile before I can pick up another emotional read because I don't know how I'll recover from this one! Please, even if (like me) you steer clear of historical fiction and love stories, do yourself a favor and pick this up. ❤️

*Feel free to join in our discussion via the link below!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Nightingale.

September 1, 2017 – Shelved
September 21, 2017 – Started Reading
September 23, 2017 –
page 138
31.36% "I usually don't do well with historical fiction OR emotional reads, so color me shocked that I'm really into this. 😳"
September 24, 2017 –
page 322
73.18% "Oh my heart. ❤️ How do people read books this emotional on a regular basis? 😭 #uglycry #passthehanky #sniffsniff"
September 25, 2017 –
page 400
90.91% "Got up extra early to try and squeeze in a few more chapters to get ready for our discussion today! ❤️ Also, I'm just dying to find out what happens."
September 25, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)

message 1: by Nida (new)

Nida Kazi I love this cover!

Hannah Bierwirth One of my favorites! Enjoy it :)

Chelsea Humphrey Nida wrote: "I love this cover!"

It's breathtaking!

Chelsea Humphrey Hannah wrote: "One of my favorites! Enjoy it :)"

I'm so excited to read it! I don't typically read historical fiction but I have a feeling I'll love this.

Erin Such a great book. I hope you love it.

Chelsea Humphrey Thanks Erin!

message 7: by Hufsa (new) - added it

Hufsa I love historical fiction and I haven't read this yet...can you believe it?!?! It's been on my TBR for a while and I'm hoping to get to it soon especially since you loved it :)

Chelsea Humphrey Ah you should read it asap!

message 9: by Bianca (new)

Bianca Excellent review. I've had this on my Kindle for a year or longer, but I put off reading it because I heard is overly emotional - I never feel like crying ...

Chelsea Humphrey I'm with you there Bianca; it was worth every sappy tear though!

Daniel Balici Historical fiction is not my genre of choice, either. However, it is impossible not to feel overwhelmed by different emotions when reading a book set during World War II. I always think about how fortunate we are to live in a relatively peaceful period and not to have to face the traumatic and frightening experiences of World War II. Great review and this is really the kind of book whose excellence cannot be properly described no matter how hard you try.

Chelsea Humphrey I completely agree Daniel. WWII books always seem to capture this raw emotion in me that makes me so very grateful for my privileged life and bubble that I live in. The fact that I don't have to worry about my husband fighting overseas, the fact that I know with a certain relativity that my children are safe is a luxury most women didn't have in those days.

message 13: by L.P. (new) - added it

L.P. Logan I'm adding it. Your review was that good.
PS thanks for the group invite :)

Chelsea Humphrey Ah thanks LP! And you're welcome!

message 15: by Svetlana (new)

Svetlana awe I loved this review Chelsea! :) I have yet to pick this off my shelf and read it but I definitely will in the near future!!

Julie Busa Reading this now and couldn't agree with you more. I love Kristin Hannah's books and had been dying to read this one, yet I'd been putting it off because I'm not a huge fan of historical fiction. Now that I've started it, im absolutely devouring it. SO good!!

Chelsea Humphrey Ah so glad to hear you're enjoying it Julie!

Candace Wonderful review, Chelsea! I loved this one also. :)

Chelsea Humphrey Candace wrote: "Wonderful review, Chelsea! I loved this one also. :)"

Thank you Candace!

message 20: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin Clemence Five stars, Chelsea! So excited. Haven't read this one yet..it's slowly making its way up the list!

Chelsea Humphrey Oh Erin you gotta read it!

Julie Busa I just finished it and I am soaked in tears. Soaked.

Chelsea Humphrey I'm so happy to hear that Julie!

Pamela Humphrey Great review! I loved that book.

Chelsea Humphrey Thanks Pamela!

deborah eden perfidio Same here I don’t usually care for historical fiction and im absolutely enthralled with this one it’s excellent

Persis Shah Thanks for the recommendation ! I'm currently reading it and don't want it to end !

Chelsea Humphrey Ah I hope you enjoyed it Persis!

Kelly Had this on my TBR for ages. It looks like I need to make room for it soon!

Chelsea Humphrey Kelly wrote: "Had this on my TBR for ages. It looks like I need to make room for it soon!"

Highly recommended Kelly!

message 31: by Crumb (new)

Crumb Very nice review, Chelsea.

Kelly Great review, Chelsea! I read this a while ago and absolutely loved it even though I am also not usually a big HF fan. I cried for a long time after finishing it but it's so wonderful!

Chelsea Humphrey Kelly wrote: "Great review, Chelsea! I read this a while ago and absolutely loved it even though I am also not usually a big HF fan. I cried for a long time after finishing it but it's so wonderful!"

Crumb wrote: "Very nice review, Chelsea."

Thank you so much!

message 34: by Kashisha (new) - added it

Kashisha Adding it to my tbr! Thanks for your great review, Chelsea 😊

message 35: by Sabrina (new) - added it

Sabrina Ballah You must also try the War That Saved My Life! It is another amazing historical fiction!