Genetic Cuckoo's Reviews > The Seabird’s Cry: The Lives and Loves of Puffins, Gannets and Other Ocean Voyagers

The Seabird’s Cry by Adam Nicolson

bookshelves: science

*Disclaimer: I was provided with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

This is a beautiful and poetic book. I love that each chapter focuses on a different seabird, and the mix of poetry and science is beautiful. I was fascinated by the fact that the Shearwater navigates the ocean by smell not sight, and that plastic releases a gas which is similar to that of fish and krill and so the birds eat plastic by mistake. It is worrying when you think of the amount of plastic added to the oceans each year. I learned so much fascinating information about the secret lives of these seabirds. I think the only think which let this book down a little was the illustrations at the beginning of each chapter, which look a little amateur and would have been nicer if they were professional illustrations, as it is a book about poetry, art and beauty.
I would highly recommend this book to anyone interested in nature, animals and birds. This would also appeal to someone interested in poetry, biology, zoology or science.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Seabird’s Cry.

Started Reading