Renee's Reviews > Asylum

Asylum by Kathryn Orzech

The book does a past and present POV SO we go between the late 1800's in young Maggie Delito's childhood. She is exposed to a scandal. I really dont know how much Maggie actually understood. The time when this occurred she was like 13 so how much did she really understand or comprehend? Apparently enough  WOW Back in this time period people who were troubled were essentially committed. Maggie was one.

Present time brings us to Laura Delito. Laura is timid and somewhat troubled while she inherits her family's jewelry business. This part of the story I really enjoyed. There is talk of marketing, other brands of jewelry and stores where they are sold. The business is in trouble, Laura is a semi-reclusive person and the family has secrets!

What I liked was the business part. What I wasn't a fan of was the character's naive attitude towards friends and business. I DO understand that her upbringing was what caused her to have a small backbone, but there were times that I was yelling at her. Some of her so called friends joined in with business associates and family to make sure she did not succeed, so for me that was overkill.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Asylum.

August 31, 2017 – Started Reading