Zaneta @ I'm Fully Booked's Reviews > Renegades

Renegades by Marissa Meyer

liked it

I was going to give this book 4 stars, but after sleeping on it, I came to a conclusion... it doesn't deserve it.

I think if I were in the mood for this story, it could've gotten a low 4. There was nothing wrong with it, not really. But also, there was nothing spectacular about it. It felt like any and every superhero story. The plot was nearly non existent. Almost 600 pages of what felt like an intro to the actual story. I never felt like I had to keep reading, in fact, I stopped mid chapter many times and picked it up the next day. It took me the full month to read it, and that says a lot.

The characters felt bland. Adrian was the typical righteous hero and I think I would appreciate it more if Nova was a typical villain (at least for some part of the book). A lot felt exaggerated and yet, Nova always seemed unsure and easily swayed. I wanted her to be hell bent on revenge, to plot more, but all she did was think how she should be doing all these things, but also of how dreamy and handsome Adrian was. We got other villains, sure, but they weren't the main part of the story. Props to Phobia, the most interesting and underdeveloped villain in the book - I would read more about him in a heartbeat.

I think I liked the idea of this book more than what the execution turned out to be. I like Marissa Mayer, I loved the Lunar Chronicles, but Renegades didn't really capture me. I might pick up the sequel, if I ever stumble upon it and feel the urge to know what happens after the unexciting cliff hanger, but I doubt it. Speaking of the cliff hanger... is it just me or did nothing allude to it and it felt... forced? Also, there was no payoff.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Renegades.

August 31, 2017 – Shelved