Diana's Reviews > Black Bird of the Gallows

Black Bird of the Gallows by Meg Kassel

did not like it
bookshelves: discarded-shelf

So far so good. Not. Lured by the synopsis I began reading this book, and so far I find it to be full of topics:

- curious girl who feels atracted to the new guy who just moved into town and nest house
- misterious brooding new guy who just moved into town
- paranormal events: crows and flies flyring around, another misterious brooding guy who seems to be an enemy to the first
- main girl ability to read on every little movement and glance of the new guy, never mind they have only talked for like ten minutes, she is now an expert on everything "him"
- the attraction. O, the attraction! Comes out of nowhere, but o the attraction.
- hot girl from school, enemy of the main character who she bullies trying to seduce the new guy. Of course.
- and of course, one of the best friends is also an ex who sometimes creates some friction.

Really? I used to love paranormal, and YA paranormal, but lately seems like it is so full of instalove, instaromance, insta attraction, insta high school recipe that it is dishearting. Will keep on reading because the prose is good and want to see if there is more to the book than just topics (which I believe could be).

Aaaand... sadly I am done. I can't keep on reading this book. The "now I talk to you and now I don't but we always seem to be doing this on and off thingie" between the two main characters is just more than I can take besides all that I summed up before.

It is a pity because the book shows promise and is very well written, but judging by the synopsis I thought I was going to read some kind of urban scyfi and not some YA "love me-love not and here I am to save your life while being esquive and aloft" kind of thing.
While the narrative is great the characters are more on the plain side (for me they never went far from the archetypical ones), but I think the author shows promise. And probably someone who is more into this kind of book would love it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Bird of the Gallows.

August 31, 2017 – Started Reading