Clare O'Beara's Reviews > The Moai Murders

The Moai Murders by Lyn Hamilton

bookshelves: south-america-mexico, crime-fiction

Great mystery. I'd previously read one by this author which was set in and around the Canadian antiques shop owned by the heroine. This book goes to Easter Island for almost all the story, in one of those mysteries involving a closed circle of people who know each other for a reason, in this case propounding rival theories about life and myth and moai on Easter Island.

Moai of course are the giant stone heads. Life has moved on in the short few years since the book was written, and the claim by Rapa Nui islanders voiced here that the moai got up and walked to their place, from the quarries, has been proven. I've seen a video in which the later-carved moai were shown to be carved differently at the base so they could be rocked from side to side and forwards in an upright pose along the roads, tugged by ropes to either side. As the heads all represent men, I was pleased to encounter some legends about women in the book.

I won't spoil the story by going into detail about the convention and its murders, just say that we see a few surprising sides of life and learn about the nature of revenge. Enjoy.

This is an unbiased review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Moai Murders.

August 31, 2017 – Started Reading