Ben Zornes's Reviews > Feelings and Faith: Cultivating Godly Emotions in the Christian Life

Feelings and Faith by Brian S. Borgman

bookshelves: christian-living

Borgman lays out in the first part a basis for understanding the rightful place and perspective for our emotions. He looks at God's character, and although God doesn't have passions (as Westminster Confession puts it), the Bible is full of language demonstrating that God is a feeling God. Not that He is dependent on them, or controlled by them in any way. Rather, our fallen natures, and the fallen emotions we thus experience, "answer" to a similar thing in God. Borgman does a really great job with such a delicate topic of God and emotions.

Part two shows how we are to not merely intellectualize our faith, and be cool and stiff in regards to truth. He shows how emotions are a part of the scope of our sanctification.

Part three deals with how we ought to mortify unbiblical emotions.

Part four is on how to cultivate godly emotions.

All in all, very helpful. Part One in particular was very good, insightful, soul-stirring. The other sections have many helpful insights for understanding where our feelings fit within our faith. Borgman gets it right, on the whole.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Feelings and Faith.

August 30, 2017 – Started Reading