Ian's Reviews > The Persistence of the Color Line: Racial Politics and the Obama Presidency

The Persistence of the Color Line by Randall Kennedy

Sep 19, 2011

liked it
Read from September 09 to 22, 2011

This is a topic that warrants a book undoubtedly but honestly, I felt Kennedy's particular take on the matter could probably have been covered in a long-ish NY Times or Atlantic article without losing too much of the meat here. The book is decently written and there were some great anecdotes referencing the flagrant racism of some prior presidents (including some who are are revered in the history books for their courageous stands against slavery, Jim Crow or racism as a whole) and 'founding fathers.'

The chapter tying recollections of the author's veteran father to a larger historical examination of the relationship between African-Americans and patriotism was a particular standout in my view, but by the end, I wasn't sure what Kennedy's final feeling towards his overall theme encapsulated in the book title was or whether spending time reading it had been worth it or not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Persistence of the Color Line.

09/19/2011 page 119