Brittany S.'s Reviews > A Semi-Definitive List of Worst Nightmares

A Semi-Definitive List of Worst Nightmares by Krystal Sutherland

Initial Impressions 9/22/17: This book was so good! It wasn't what I was expecting, and then it was, and then it wasn't in a good way. I thought this would be heavy on the magical realism based on the synopsis and then it turned more realistic fiction for a while, and came back as a blend of both.

The characters were so wonderful and real and had such amazing personalities. Every single one has their own thing they're dealing with and Esther blames this on the family curse, but there's a lot more beneath the surface than she understands and more importantly, is willing to face. It was interesting to see both sides of that concept -- from the magical realism/curse side and from the realistic side that really tackled mental health head on. It was addressed so well and I felt like it was a very realistic representation. The magic is both real and also a coping mechanism/avoidance method and I really enjoyed the blend between the real and the imaginary.

The characters really brought this book to life, every single one unique and beautiful. I loved getting to know this family and the people who supported them. I laughed, I cried, I was afraid, and I was happy. This book took me through so many emotions and I'm so glad I read it!

Review as posted on The Book Addict's Guide 12/21/17: A SEMI-DEFINITIVE LIST OF WORST NIGHTMARES wasn’t what I was expecting, and then it was, and then it wasn’t — all in a good way. I thought this would be heavy on the magical realism based on the synopsis and then it turned more realistic fiction for a while, and came back as a blend of both. There was a lot of care taken when writing this book and it really shows through each of the characters and their own personal situations. I was really impressed with it!

The characters of this book were so wonderful and real and had such amazing personalities. Every single one has their own thing they’re dealing with and Esther blames this on the family curse, but there’s a lot more beneath the surface than she understands and more importantly, is willing to face. It was interesting to see both sides of that concept — from the magical realism/curse side and from the realistic side that really tackled mental health head on. It was addressed so well and I felt like it was a very realistic representation. The magic is both real and also a coping mechanism/avoidance method and I really enjoyed the blend between the real and the imaginary. The reader is left wondering how much is really magic and that’s something I love about magical realism when it’s done well!

This is also one of those realistic fiction novels that’s great for those who aren’t normally contemporary romance readers. The family is quirky and fun to read, the plot of the book involves a lot of fun instances where characters face their fears (some of them silly), and there are some really great representations of mental health on many levels. I liked that there was an actual plot with an end goal of conquering fears and the way they tackled each one was fun and also beautiful.

The characters really brought this book to life, every single one unique and beautiful. I loved getting to know this family and the people who supported them. I laughed, I cried, I was afraid, and I was happy. This book took me through so many emotions and I’m so glad I read it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Semi-Definitive List of Worst Nightmares.

August 30, 2017 – Shelved
September 20, 2017 – Started Reading
September 20, 2017 – Shelved as: from-pub-penguin
September 20, 2017 – Shelved as: contemp-realistic-ya
September 20, 2017 –
12.0% "Well, this is really fun so far! Not what I was expecting in a very good way."
September 21, 2017 –