Courtney's Reviews > Black Bird of the Gallows

Black Bird of the Gallows by Meg Kassel

bookshelves: arc

Meg Kassel nails it with her debut novel. Black Bird of the gallows was an intriguing YA fantasy/paranormal read.

"Don't follow me again, Angie. Death is never far behind me. I don't want it to catch you."

I love the unique ideas and paranormal elements Meg gives us in this book. She created very interesting world of harbingers and beekeepers. I love how she built everything up and introduced us to this world, I just wish she would have added more of these elements a little earlier on in the book.

The beginning of the book was a tad slow for me, but not too slow to where it made me lose interest - I think it was just missing those extra fantasy elements that would have made the pace a bit more enjoyable. But once everything started to come together, the book definitely got more entertaining and interesting.

Crack your bones and eat the marrow, snap your spines like broken arrows."

I really enjoyed Angie and Reece and their interactions. Despite Angie have a rough upbringing with her mother, at times she came across as reserved, you could still sense her strong demeanor just below the surface. You know something is up with Reece that second we meet him, but we just aren't sure what that it is. I enjoyed the mysteriousness of him and how we slowly learned more and more about him.

Overall, Meg wrote a very enticing YA fantasy read. I loved how she panned things out and gave us a new world to fall into. What I loved most about this book was Meg's writing style. She really made this whole story way more interesting than I anticipated and it's her writing that made this book stand out to me. I am looking forward to her companion novels to this book and what she brings us next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Bird of the Gallows.

August 29, 2017 – Shelved
August 29, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
September 5, 2017 – Shelved as: arc
September 8, 2017 – Started Reading
September 8, 2017 –
27.0% " Don't follow me again, Angie. Death is never far behind me. I don't want it to catch you."

How I have missed my an exciting YA paranormal book that has me glued to its pages."
September 10, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Valentine Awesome review!! Can't wait to read,sounds so good!!!

Courtney Kat wrote: "Awesome review!! Can't wait to read,sounds so good!!!"

You will love this one, Kat!! I was so excited to read it and she definitely lived up to everything I read and heard about.

message 3: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Valentine Can't wait!!