Lara Maynard's Reviews > Below The Bridge: Memories of The South Side of St. John's

Below The Bridge by Helen Porter

bookshelves: canada, canlit, memoir, newfoundland-labrador, non-fiction, audiobook, 2017-canbookchallenge

I found myself wishing that Helen Fogwill Porter herself was the narrator of the audiobook version of Below the Bridge. She has such as distinctive voice, recognizable to anyone who listens to call-in radio shows in St. John's, NL. In fact, I could hear her in my head as I listened. That said, Mary Barry does a fine job of narrating.

This book is so personal, with its memories of childhood, family and neighbourhood from 1930s and 1940s, and I always find it hard to give that type of book a rating. I very much enjoyed her descriptions of the community of her youth within the city, her own coming of age, local characters and landmarks, and the WWII years in St. John's, with lots of anecdotes and musing.

I found this after I googled the book: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoun... It seems Porter has a footbridge in her old neighbourhood area named after her. Lovely.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Below The Bridge.

August 29, 2017 – Started Reading
August 29, 2017 – Shelved as: non-fiction
August 29, 2017 – Shelved as: canlit
August 31, 2017 –
page 0
"On Chapter 10. Chapter 9 was about WWII-time."
September 1, 2017 –