Sarah's Reviews > How to Listen So People Will Talk: Build Stronger Communication and Deeper Connections

How to Listen So People Will Talk by Becky Harling

bookshelves: 2017-reads, walk-of-faith, received-for-review
Read 2 times. Last read August 28, 2017 to October 6, 2017.

Age Appropriate For: 13 and up (for brief mention of hard things in author’s past)
Best for Ages: 18 and up

I love to talk, but the Bible clearly says that we are to be quick to listen and slow to speak. As I have trouble doing this, I was excited to read this book. It didn’t disappoint me. I found myself being convicted, encouraged, and given practical steps to become a better listener.

This is a small book, but it took me a while to go through it. Why? Because it was jammed packed with a lot of good material. I read a chapter and then did all the activities / answered all the questions. There were a few days I knew I wouldn’t have time, so I waited until I did. If you go through this book, I highly recommend doing all the stuff at the end of the chapter to really get the full impact.

The style in which this book is written is very engaging. I have loved books by Becky Harling since I read 30 Days of Praise. She is honest, funny at times, and kind. She doesn’t have a problem with telling it like it is, yet does it in a kind and gentle manner.

The only issue I had was that I felt that, in her chapter about giving advice, she made it sound as if it is never okay to confront people. While not the main point of the chapter, I think it is very clear from the scripture that there is a time and a place for Christians to confront fellow believers about their sin. Some people might also might want to know that she briefly mentions that she was sexually abused as a child.

I have a list that I am starting of books I wish every Christian would read. This has made that list (Connecting by Larry Crabb is also on the list). I think it is a powerful book on a topic that is much easier ignored. If that doesn’t tell you enough about how much I like it, know that this book WILL be on my top ten books for this year.

I highly recommend this book for every Christian, those that want to deepen their friendships, and anyone who wants to become a better listener.

I received this book for reviewing purposes. I was not required to give a positive review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Listen So People Will Talk.

August 28, 2017 – Started Reading
August 28, 2017 – Shelved
September 29, 2017 –
page 100
"Do not be deceived. This may look small, but it takes a long time to get through it. It is so good, so convicting, and such a blessing."
October 6, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017-reads
October 6, 2017 – Shelved as: walk-of-faith
October 6, 2017 – Finished Reading
October 11, 2017 – Shelved as: received-for-review
July 22, 2019 – Started Reading (Audiobook Edition)
July 22, 2019 – Shelved (Audiobook Edition)
August 4, 2019 – Finished Reading (Audiobook Edition)
August 5, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019reads (Audiobook Edition)
August 5, 2019 – Shelved as: audiobook (Audiobook Edition)
August 5, 2019 – Shelved as: non-fiction (Audiobook Edition)
August 5, 2019 – Shelved as: walk-of-faith (Audiobook Edition)