Malia's Reviews > What Happened

What Happened by Hillary Rodham Clinton

bookshelves: non-fiction

A lot has been said and written about What Happened, and I won't add much more. What I will say is this: It is not a book by an angry, bitter, "nasty" woman. People have very strong feelings about Hillary Clinton. Some will be happy to bash this book - often without having read it - as a self-indulgent tome by a woman who cannot be a good loser. It is not. The book is about her loss, yes, how could it not be, and her bewilderment, sadness and regret. There is some blame, but not only on others. She tells her story, which does not only encompass the past two years. Anecdotes of her family, her colleagues, her professional and personal existence make What Happened a book about a life, not only a campaign. She focuses on people and her achievements and goals, which highlights how incredibly qualified she would have been and provides a stark contrast to the current president. Some say Clinton should fade away, be quiet, accept her defeat. The latter she is forced to do, but not the former. She lost the electoral vote, yes, but she gained the title of the first woman who even came close to attaining the US presidency. As much as she may have riled some, she inspired many others.
And for what it is worth, I'm still with her.

Find more reviews and bookish fun at http://www.princessandpen.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Happened.

August 28, 2017 – Shelved
August 28, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
September 19, 2017 – Started Reading
September 26, 2017 – Shelved as: non-fiction
September 26, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)

message 1: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Moberg Excellent review. I'm still with her, as well, and very glad that she continues to persist!

Malia Kathy wrote: "Excellent review. I'm still with her, as well, and very glad that she continues to persist!"

Thank you, Kathy, yes, I actually found this book to be rather hopeful.

message 3: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Great review, Malia!

Malia Deanna wrote: "Great review, Malia!"

Thank you, Deanna!

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Fantastic review Malia!!!!! 😊

Malia Lindsay wrote: "Fantastic review Malia!!!!! 😊"

Thanks, Lindsay!

message 7: by Mackey (new)

Mackey Excellent review of the book Malia.

Malia Mackey wrote: "Excellent review of the book Malia."

message 9: by Barbara (new)

Barbara I'm still with her too Malia :)

Malia Barbara wrote: "I'm still with her too Malia :)"

Heartening to know so many of us are:-)

message 11: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg Nice Review!

Malia Greg wrote: "Nice Review!"

Thank you, Greg!

message 13: by JacQuelyne (new) - added it

JacQuelyne I love Hillary. To me, she is one of most outstanding women in our world. I, too, will stand with her. I think she would have been a great and effective President, particularly, with reference to the person currently occupying the Office. I hope she runs again.

Malia JacQuelyne wrote: "I love Hillary. To me, she is one of most outstanding women in our world. I, too, will stand with her. I think she would have been a great and effective President, particularly, with reference to t..."

I agree, I think so many issues we are dealing with now under this administration would be easily and diplomatically resolved by her.

message 15: by Amy (new)

Amy Beautiful review! And of course I echo all of your sentiments.

Malia Amy wrote: "Beautiful review! And of course I echo all of your sentiments."

Thanks so much, Amy! I was initially worried I would get lots of nasty comments for writing this review, but there has not been a single one. Goodreads readers are just the best!

Elyse Walters Malia ... I have a copy of your book - and plan to read it... and look forward to it📚💕...
I have a stack of library books to finish first / & Netgalley books I’m accounted for .... but it’s on my mind. Xoxo

message 18: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg I'm with Hillary. She and Bill are career politicians, and they will always be around. Just like Obama. And Michele? I can't see either Michele or Barrack just fading away.

Malia Elyse wrote: "Malia ... I have a copy of your book - and plan to read it... and look forward to it📚💕...

That's so kind, thank you, Elyse, I hope you enjoy it!!

Malia Greg wrote: "I'm with Hillary. She and Bill are career politicians, and they will always be around. Just like Obama. And Michele? I can't see either Michele or Barrack just fading away."

I agree, Greg, let's hope they stick around!

message 21: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg Malia wrote: "Greg wrote: "I'm with Hillary. She and Bill are career politicians, and they will always be around. Just like Obama. And Michele? I can't see either Michele or Barrack just fading away."

I agree, ..."

Malia, I have family members who have spouted their hatred for Hillary and for Michelle for many years. When I asked them why, the answer is usually something like, "She's just such a b****." Hillary and Michelle are icons of decent people who are great leaders, every day, by example.

message 22: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg Malia wrote: "Amy wrote: "Beautiful review! And of course I echo all of your sentiments."

Malia, I commented in a review of Raymond Chandler's "The Big Sleep" that it wasn't just the once-in-a-while homophobic/racist/xenophobic comment by characters, it was the author's voice, incessantly spouting homophobic/racist/xenophobic views that I found particularly wrong. And I still do. But there were readers who apparently can't distinguish between the development of a character and the voice of an author. In non-fiction, a good author disappears, imo.

Malia Greg wrote: "Malia wrote: "Amy wrote: "Beautiful review! And of course I echo all of your sentiments."

I rarely read non-fiction, but I don't usually mind if the author's voice is present, as long as it strengthens the characters or the narrative being told. As a writer myself, I know, whether intentionally or not, my views are echoed, to some degree, by my protagonist. That being said, I really was not a fan of The Big Sleep, and it definitely is an example of the author's voice coming through in the characters he creates, and not in a good way.

message 24: by Beverly (new)

Beverly Me too Amalia! Great review!😀

message 25: by Greg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greg Malia wrote: "Greg wrote: "Malia wrote: "Amy wrote: "Beautiful review! And of course I echo all of your sentiments."

Hi Malia, yes, that's the thing, when the author's voice comes through and it's "not in a good way" (in the case of Big Sleep) it lessens the quality of the work. I've written seven screenplays and have about a dozen or so in progress and work at not letting my own thoughts show through, but sometimes it's best to have a character share my thoughts so that I know specifically, who is speaking for me and I can maintain that voice separate from others. I just finished my first political screenplay, it's the only political screenplay I'll ever write, but I just had to get my thoughts on gun control/policies on paper and out of my head. No, I have never sold anything. Did option a short for $50.00 but it wasn't made. It's a hobby. As you can probably tell, my fingers like to type.

Malia Greg wrote: "Malia wrote: "Greg wrote: "Malia wrote: "Amy wrote: "Beautiful review! And of course I echo all of your sentiments."

I do understand what you mean, Greg, and I think it must be quite cathartic to have written that political screenplay even, as you say, you won't repeat the experience:-)

Malia Beverly wrote: "Me too Amalia! Great review!😀"

Thank you, Beverly!

message 28: by Beverly (new)

Beverly Amalia!, I am so sorry I spelled your name wrong, please forgive me.☺

message 29: by Beverly (new)

Beverly I think it is the kindle overcorrecting, darn it! Malia.

Malia Beverly wrote: "I think it is the kindle overcorrecting, darn it! Malia."

No problem! I know autocorrect has a mind of its own;-)