Robin Goodfellow's Reviews > Snow

Snow by Mikayla Elliot

-I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review.

Snow, by Mikayla Elliot, is a gothic romance about trying to take back the life you once had, while innocence slips from your fingertips.

Lady Neva was delivered to Lord Argenal as a supposed wife, whom she later killed when she transformed into a vampire. She is then taken by Lord Thedryk, where she is used as a key to win a horrific war between vampires and corpses who have long forgotten their humanity. However, despite her reluctant peace, she soon finds herself targeted by Zachariah, a vampire who has taken a dark interest in her. With allies and bittersweet memories surfacing within the darkness. Neva must find her way through this decadent world, before she is forever lost in the shadows just waiting beneath.

I loved the dynamic between Eliza and Zachariah. While it’s clear that the two did love each other once, in the end they were separated by this gruesome world, left to wither away in their fate. While Zachariah did manage to show his human side through another, it’s still their romance I mourn for. In a way, it parallels to Neva and Alexander’s relationship. Every little love that blossomed beneath the sun seems to have wasted away, and only the thorns are left behind. At least, that’s what I felt like, until I came to admire Neva and Thedryk’s relationship. Past and present intertwine with these two, and with war looming near, Elliot weaves a wonderful, yet terrifying love that can only grow within the gleam of the cruel moonlight. The characters aren’t nearly as sappy as others in the paranormal romance genre, and it’s something I’m grateful to Elliot for.

What I enjoyed most about Snow was its attention to detail. Whenever Elliot described the castle, or even Neva’s room, it was as if I was being there myself. I could practically see every little shadow, and though I could see everything, it was as if I was still being haunted by something. The scenes were so vivid in my mind I can’t help but shudder. Perhaps my favorite scene of all were the ones between Zachariah and Amelia. There was a certain innocence behind their actions, and I felt as if Zachariah was trying to protect Amelia from the harsh realities of this world, like any other parent would. Tragically ironic is one way to describe it.

Thus, I would give this book a rating of a 4 out of 5 stars. The characters were well written, and the details were thrilling. It was everything I expected from a gothic horror and more, without the cheesy romances to chain it down. As such, I would recommend this book to fans of The Killing Cure by C.S. Kendall and The Rosegiver by Sandy Benitez.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snow.

Finished Reading
August 28, 2017 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Diana Iozzia Hi Robin! I completely agree with you. The character dynamics were absolutely wonderfully done. I also enjoy the descriptions of the castles and the locations. I could imagine every scene in my mind. I was so happily surprised.