NMmomof4's Reviews > The Duchess Deal

The Duchess Deal by Tessa Dare

4.5 Stars

Overall Opinion: This was a great beauty and the beast type story. The Duke is scarred externally and internally (by his ex), and the h is the feisty seamstress-to-duchess that fixes him! The banter and wit was awesome, and probably one of my favorite things about it. My absolute favorite was the H! He was too funny and not as grumpy and horrible to deal with as he was made out to be, and I loved that Emma simply became his weakness and his strength all in one. The sexy times were pretty hot considering it's a HR too! My only complaint is I wanted MORE! The epilogue wasn't as in depth as I would've liked, but again, I'm a greedy reader. I would recommend this to anyone, especially those that are on the fence about HR and need that great book to get into the genre 🤗

Brief Summary of the Storyline: This is Emma and Ash's story. Emma is desperate and calls on the Duke Ash for payment for her labor sewing his ex-fiancé's wedding gown. Ash is also desperate in that he needs a wife to produce an heir to pass his title on to. They make an agreement and go into a marriage of convenience. There are rules that get broken, feelings that are unintentionally developed, some sexy times, and some laugh-out-loud moments...and they get a HEA ending.

POV: This alternated between focusing mainly on Emma and Ash in 3rd person narrative.

Overall Pace of Story: Good. I never skimmed and I thought it flowed well.

Instalove: No, they take a while to develop stronger feelings.

H rating: 5 stars. Ash. I loved him! He cracked me up with his sarcastic humor! I was heartbroken for him and what happened with his ex, but I think he made such a great match with Emma.

h rating: 4.5 stars. Emma. I really liked her! She was a great combination of tough and sweet, and just what the Duke needed.

Sadness level: Low, no tissues needed

Push/Pull: Yes (view spoiler)

Heat level: Hot. They have some hot tension, chemistry, and scenes -- but not so much it takes away from the story.

Descriptive sex: Yes

OW/OM drama: Yes (view spoiler)

Sex scene with OW or OM: No

Cheating: No

Separation: No

Possible Triggers: Yes (view spoiler)

Closure: This had pretty good closure, but I wanted more! I would've loved a farther and more in-depth glimpse into their future. I would still call it a HEA ending though.

How I got it: I paid the $5.99 on Amazon for it (on the high end of what I like to spend, but happy that it ended up being worth it!)

Safety: This one should be Safe for most safety gang readers
(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Duchess Deal.

August 27, 2017 – Started Reading
August 27, 2017 – Shelved
August 27, 2017 –
page 0
0.0% "“Are you being blackmailed?”

“No.” She drew out the word.

“Supporting a passel of abandoned children, whilst being blackmailed?”

“No.”

He snapped his fingers. “I have it. Your father is a scapegrace. In debtor’s prison. Or spending the rent money on gin and whores.”

“My father is a vicar. In Hertfordshire.”

😂"
August 28, 2017 –
48.0% ""Yes, I am certain it’s infatuation. I’ve felt it before.”

Now Ash was the one who became a maelstrom of irrational emotion. That emotion being jealous anger. “Toward whom?”

“Why should it matter?”

“Because,” he said, “I like to know the names of the people I despise. I keep them in a little book and pore over it from time to time, whilst sipping brandy and indulging in throaty, ominous laughter.”

🤣"
August 29, 2017 – Shelved as: neighbors-live-with
August 29, 2017 – Shelved as: safe
August 29, 2017 – Shelved as: unlikely-couple
August 29, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)

Jeannine Allison Great review, Jenny! I've been hesitant about HR, but you've sold me on this one 😉

message 2: by Ann Lou (new)

Ann Lou Great review Jenny 😀 Adding this one to my TBR

Leo (Queen of the Rants) Awesome review Jenny, adding it to my TBR! Thank you. 😘

NMmomof4 Jeannine wrote: "Great review, Jenny! I've been hesitant about HR, but you've sold me on this one 😉"

I hope you love it! I have been liking HR to break up my other contemporary romance books lately 😘

NMmomof4 Ann Lou wrote: "Great review Jenny 😀 Adding this one to my TBR"

Thanks, Ann Lou! Hope you love it too 🤞🏻💕

NMmomof4 Leonor wrote: "Awesome review Jenny, adding it to my TBR! Thank you. 😘"

Yay! Thanks, sweetie 😊

Cyndi Terrific review!

Aiade Guerra I'm so glad you liked as much as I did. It's one of the best HR I've read in a long time. Great review!

NMmomof4 Cyndi wrote: "Terrific review!"

NMmomof4 Aiade wrote: "I'm so glad you liked as much as I did. It's one of the best HR I've read in a long time. Great review!"

Thanks, Aiade 🤗

Debbie DiFiore Love the review!!!

message 12: by Malene (new)

Malene Fantastic review, hon

♥ WishfulMiss ♥ Yay! Loved your review NM 👏
I just bought this one and am jumping right in!!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review! Never read any TD books, guess I could start with this one :) XX

NMmomof4 Lua wrote: "Great review! Never read any TD books, guess I could start with this one :) XX"

Oooh! The pressure!! I hope you enjoy it 🤞🏻💕

♥ WishfulMiss ♥ wrote: "Yay! Loved your review NM 👏
I just bought this one and am jumping right in!!"

Awesome! Hope you love it 🤗

Malene_D *BadAndDirtyBooks* wrote: "Fantastic review, hon"

Thanks, sweets! 💜

Debbie wrote: "Love the review!!!"

Paige Fab review, Jenny! I love Tessa so I'm so excited about this one but I'm cheap so I'm on the waitlist at the library. Lol

NMmomof4 Paige wrote: "Fab review, Jenny! I love Tessa so I'm so excited about this one but I'm cheap so I'm on the waitlist at the library. Lol"

I hear ya! I definitely splurged with this one, and thankfully it paid off! 😘

message 18: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Great review honey 💜

NMmomof4 Deborah wrote: "Great review honey 💜"

Thank you, Deborah!

message 20: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle Fabulous review, Jenny! I've had this one added for a while. I'm gonna bump it up!

Geri Reads I agree about the hero! I thought he would be horrid and mean but his humor was so unexpected and refreshing!

NMmomof4 Danielle wrote: "Fabulous review, Jenny! I've had this one added for a while. I'm gonna bump it up!"

Thanks, honey! I hope you love it 💕

NMmomof4 ♥~♥Geri Reads ♥~♥ wrote: "I agree about the hero! I thought he would be horrid and mean but his humor was so unexpected and refreshing!"

Yes!! I really enjoyed his sarcasm 😄

~**Anna**~ A Romance Reader Amazing review, Jenny! I love, LOVE Ash and his sarcasm. So happy you liked this book as much as I did 💜

NMmomof4 ~**Anna**~ A Romance Reader wrote: "Amazing review, Jenny! I love, LOVE Ash and his sarcasm. So happy you liked this book as much as I did 💜"

Thanks, sweetie 💙

Holly “A greedy reader”. Can’t tell you how much I identify with this.

NMmomof4 HB wrote: "“A greedy reader”. Can’t tell you how much I identify with this."

Haha! Happy to know I might not alone then 😘

NMmomof4 V. PARENTAL GUIDANCE ALERT: A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you wrote: "Great review!"

Thanks, sweetie 💜