Martha's Reviews > The Magnificent Mountain Women: Adventures in the Colorado Rockies

The Magnificent Mountain Women by Janet Robertson

bookshelves: books-for-fun

I got this book as a gift twenty-five years ago and I finally had the chance to read it!

Janet Robertson has kind of a tough job with this book. She has chosen to write about as many as she can of the women in Colorado's early days. There are actually many incredible women and Robertson had to choose. There are many fascinating stories in this compendium and I enjoyed reading it very much. I got to meet "Doc Susie" -- the only doctor in the Granby/Winter Park area for many years at the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th century. I met some masochistic (and, IMO, not very bright) women scientists from the 1970s who didn't even have the sense to be sure they had decent sleeping bags before spending a winter in a cabin up on Trail Ridge (but they did make sure they had the same spiritual center...) or be sure their stove worked. I met Isabella Bird (awesome woman) and some incredible climbers and scientists.

The writing is uneven and toward the end the book as the feel that Robertson was trying to "get her done" so to speak and the stories were not as well told. I'd give the women in the book five stars, Robert 4 stars for having had the vision to write this and 3 stars for the writing itself. But it doesn't matter; no one reads a book like this for the way it's written and I loved it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magnificent Mountain Women.

July, 2017 – Started Reading