rabbitprincess's Reviews > Anthills of the Savannah

Anthills of the Savannah by Chinua Achebe

Apr 26, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: world-lit-in-english-fall-2007, school, 2007
Recommended to rabbitprincess by: English prof
Recommended for: people who've already read some of Achebe's work

This was the second book studied in our World Literatures in English class. It had a tough act to follow; our first book was the most excellent Green Grass, Running Water.

Anthills takes place in a fictional African country, Kangan, after it has gained independence from Britain. It centres on three figures: Sam, the dictator of Kangan; the newspaper editor guy whose name I can't remember right this second; and Chris, the Minister for Information. The story chronicles Sam's dictatorship, circumstances that serve as a parallel to Achebe's own country, Nigeria.

The plot was an interesting idea, but it was decidedly more of a chore to get through than Green Grass. It felt preachy in some parts, and there was definitely not much humour in it, despite my prof's claim that it had a satirical bent in places.

All in all, I wouldn't recommend it if you're looking for something light. If you're into more "serious" postcolonial fare, this would probably be the ticket.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anthills of the Savannah.

Started Reading