Diane Ramirez's Reviews > Play Dates

Play Dates by Leslie Carroll

F 50x66
Apr 26, 2008

did not like it

** spoiler alert ** I'm not a big reader of chicklit so I'm a terrible source for a review of this book. As a dabbler in the girly art, I didn't really appreciate this. The narrators (three of them, all female) were talkative to the poing where I wanted to tell them to shut their yaps. And while I do have the female genetics working for me, and I do get excited when the Perfect Guy comes along, the little bit of a feminist in me is never pleased when the Perfect Guy's coming along equals the Happy Ending. The cynic in me wants to scream out -- when do we get to see his temper come out? Or, I bet he leaves his toenail clippings on the nightstand, Claire!

There were some things I never did understand, and that's as a been-there-done-that single mom. Why why why did this struggling mother with no tolerance for bull keep sending her daughter to the overpriced, overambitious, and extremely snooty Thackeray Academy? How could she see the damage that was being done to her daughter by the nutty school and NOT pull her out immediately? And did the author not find her main character a bit too indulgent of her daughter? She's a strong girl, not a delicate and rare lotus petal!

On the other hand there were some genuinely sweet moments that moved me. Well, about TWO genuinely sweet moments, but that's something.

Again, this is not my genre so it's quite unfair for me to say anything negative. But if you happen to be thinking of giving the chick thing a try, I recommend you start somewhere else.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Play Dates.