Megan ~The Never Ending Book Basket's Reviews > Aflame

Aflame by Penelope Douglas

Read 2 times

Let me start this review by saying that if I could give this book all the stars in the world, I would. I would give this story, these characters, and this series as many stars as humanly possible because they deserve them. What Penelope Douglas gave me with them all in this last book, what she so exceptionally created in this entire series, and what she allowed me to feel with every fiber of my being while reading these books is something I will never forget. This series has firmly cemented itself as one of my all-time favorites, and I honestly just wish there were ten more books to read because I am so not ready to say goodbye to these characters yet.

The love I feel for all of these characters, for what Penelope Douglas gave me with them throughout each of these books, and how much I am invested in them and their happiness truly knows no bounds. This is one of the best series I have ever read, and is probably the best new adult series I have ever read. It is so thoughtfully crafted, so authentic and real, and so easy to feel and understand and get. The way Penelope Douglas has put me right in the thick of this series, the way she has allowed me to fall so hopelessly in love with all of these characters, and the way she gave me so much with them along the way is something I will truly never forget.

The events of Aflame begin about two years after we last left the Fall Away crew. Two years have passed since Jared and Tate split, with him needing time to go find himself, what he wanted, and who he truly was. Jared always planned on coming back, but him and Tate are now further apart than ever. They don't speak, they're not together, and they are not in a good place with each other. Sure they've both come into their own, discovered who they are and what they want to be, but there is still something missing, something that's still not right. When a set of circumstances brings Jared back to Shelburne Falls for the first time, things start getting very interesting. Aflame gives you one last little taste of the Fall Away gang, as Jared and Tate try to put their hearts back together once and for all. This book follows Jared and Tate as they play one last game, as they continue to push each other's buttons, and as they get closer and closer to discovering what they really feel and how far they're willing to fight to keep all of that feeling.

I have to say that as much as this story broke my heart and hurt it like crazy at times, I completely understood why this story needed to be. The way Penelope Douglas allowed me that understanding from the start of this book, and really this entire series, let me feel and get and just know why things had to be this way. It's not that I wanted Jared and Tate to be apart and to struggle the way that they did, it's just that I knew that that was a part of their journey. They needed to struggled, they needed to break, and they needed to find themselves apart before they could find themselves together. Sure those two put each other through the wringer a time or two in this book, and really this entire series and their lives together, but each of those moments and steps and instances was there to get them both closer to where they needed to be.

This was the perfect last book of the series because it not only gave me more time with all of the characters I have come to love so fiercely in this series, it allowed everything to come full circle. It allowed Jared and Tate to fight like hell for what they wanted, it pushed them that last little bit that they needed to be pushed, and in the end the events of this book allowed them to see exactly what and who they needed in their lives. This book was Jared and Tate all the way. It was their fight, their push and their pull, their intensity, and their love. It made me realize through every single page why I love them so damn much, and why they have stolen my heart the way that they have. The honesty, authenticity, and heart of those two knows no bounds, and is what makes them a couple I will always root for.

I don't want to tell you much else of what happens in Aflame because I would hate to take away what this book will give you when you read it. Trust me, if you have loved this series and loved these characters, then I promise you will love this book. You will love how it pushes them to the very edge, you will love how it brings it all together, you will love how you get more and more exceptional pieces with each of them that fill your heart and mind with so much understanding, and you will love every second you get with them all. This book will pull at your heart and have you feeling so much, and that is what makes it so phenomenal. That is just part of what makes it so good, and I am telling you, once you reach the end of It, you will do so with a heart that is bursting for these characters.

The Fall Away Series started with Jared and Tate, and it ended where it all began. What started with a bully that soon gave way to love and so much more than these characters bargained for made for a book and series and world and group of characters that will own a piece of my heart forever. I truly can't say that enough. What I got with all of these characters along the way as they discovered themselves and their wants and needs, as they overcame their pasts, and fought for their presents was amazing. It was real and emotional and complicated and messy, and at the end of it all it was them. It was Jared and Tate, Madoc and Fallon, Juliet and Jax, and the other dynamic characters that made this series what it is.

This book and this entire series was all about second chances. Second chances on life, on love, and on these characters themselves. Each and every story and character of this series explored what can happen when you get that second chance, when you seize it with all that you have, and fight with every breath in your body to see where it could take you. This series is all about losing yourself, finding yourself, and every heart squeezing, life changing, and pulse pounding moment in between. It's about taking the chances you have, fighting with all you have, and discovering what it truly is you need in your life.

These book and these characters have given me everything, and I for one am going to miss them something fierce. I love them all so much, I've rooted for them, I've cried for them and felt for them, and I've wanted to shake them silly from time to time too, but through it all they have been them and I have loved every piece and moment I've gotten with them. The Fall Away Series by Penelope Douglas is one of the best series I have ever read. With it's love and fire and intensity and hate and healing and just honest to goodness unforgettable characters, this series delivers in every way possible. Aflame was the perfect ending to it all, and when you reach that last page I am telling you, you will know once and again why this series is as amazing as it is. What it gives you, what it lets you feel and breathe and experience, and what you get with its characters along the way is everything.

And it truly doesn't get better than that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aflame.

Quotes Megan Liked

Penelope Douglas
“A man who stands in front of a woman does nothing more than block her view.”

Penelope Douglas
“I’m never letting you go again, Tate,” I whispered, almost desperate. “I’m your friend forever, and if that’s all I get, then that’s what I’m taking, because only when you’re here”—I took her hand and placed it on my heart—“do I feel like my life is worth a damn.”

Penelope Douglas
“It will be my ring on your finger and my kids in your belly someday.”

Penelope Douglas
“I wanted her to love me again. I wanted her to say she was mine. And I didn’t want to have to bully her about it, either.”

Penelope Douglas
“As my friend, I liked you,” I whispered. “As my enemy, I craved you. As a fighter, I loved you, and as my wife”—I slid the ring the rest of the way on—“I keep you.” I squeezed her hand. “Forever,” I promised.”

Penelope Douglas
“Can we just skip to the end?” I asked softly. “I’m tired of missing you,”

Penelope Douglas
“The more you embrace change, though, the easier it gets.”
Penelope Douglas , Aflame

Penelope Douglas
“His text took only a moment. You tell the guy you’re dating that your boyfriend’s back. I let my arms drift back down to the bed as I closed my eyes, sighing. Yeah, that’s what I was thinking, too. My phone beeped again. And he’s gonna be in trouble . . .”

Penelope Douglas
“I pulled Dylan up onto my lap, her little yellow Chucks rubbing against my shins. “Hi, Daddy,” she chirped. “I miss you.”

Penelope Douglas
“This isn't high school," I said, eyeing him playfully. "You're way out of your depth.”

Penelope Douglas
“Fuck up, own up, and then get up.”

Penelope Douglas
“At ten years old, Jared was my friend. At fourteen, my enemy; at eighteen, my lover; and at twenty, my heartbreak. I’d known him more than half my life, and although the roles had changed, his impact was always all consuming.
Always.”

Penelope Douglas
“Jax cleared his throat. “You two have loved each other the longest,” he said softly. “Doesn’t seem right that you’ll be the last to get married.”

Penelope Douglas
“I laid the side of my face on his back, hugging him close. “Nothing feels right without you. Not school or home,” I cried. “Everything is just giving me enough air to get to the next day without you. I never stopped being yours.”
He dropped his head back, letting out a sigh.
I swallowed, taking my chance. “I love you, Jared. I’ve always loved you, and I will always love you.”

Penelope Douglas
“A man who stands in front of a woman does nothing more than block her view. She needs a man standing next to her, so grow up.”

Penelope Douglas
He dropped his head back, letting out a sigh.

Penelope Douglas
“When you think about the women who aren't interested in my brother, it pretty much just leaves the lesbians”

Penelope Douglas
“I'm your friend forever, and if that's all I get, then that's what I'm taking because only when you are here...do I feel like my life is worth a damn”

Penelope Douglas
“I never wanted other women... I left so that I could be a man for you. So I could come back for you”

Penelope Douglas
“You are written all over my body...the tattoos can never be erased. You hold my heart, and you can never be replaced”

Finished Reading
August 26, 2017 – Started Reading (Kindle Edition)
August 26, 2017 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
August 26, 2017 – Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)
August 27, 2017 – Shelved