Kelly's Reviews > Alexander Death

Alexander Death by J.L. Bryan

251943
Sep 18, 2011

bookshelves: ebooks, young-adult, 2011-favorites, read-in-2011, urban-fantasy

Previously on The Paranormals: Oh, Jenny. You've had such a hard road, what with your inability to touch people without infecting them with diseases most vile. Then you found Seth. He made you happy. Of course, terrible Ashleigh found a way to spread her poisoned love and make you start to doubt him. She's such a jerk. Alexander stepped in and offered to teach you more about your powers. You accepted because the crowd trying to beat you to death didn't leave you much choice. Plus, you know, it was nice to be able to touch another person. I guess. I don't really have that problem. It just seems like it would be one of those things that really sucks.

Anyway. This was one of those books that made me alternate between cheering Jenny on for making the choice to learn more about herself and her powers and shrieking at her in anger for walking away from Seth. I liked Seth. I liked him even after his indiscretion in book 2. Of course, there were some things that I didn't like about him, but Seth is kind of a work in progress and I wasn't willing to give up on him. By that token, I wasn't willing to let Jenny give up on him either.

One of the things that has intrigued me since book 1 is the worldbuilding that J.L. Bryan has given us. The idea of these fantastic individuals who have helped shape history but who are so much older than our own world fascinates me. They've pushed humanity through the ages. They've incited wars and destruction. The juxtaposition between those past lives and Jenny's current life where she tries to go unnoticed and untouched pulled at me.

For me, this book was a perfect ending to Jenny's story. Jenny grew, she learned, she made her choices. We got twists and turns (one of which tickled me pink), betrayal, love, happiness and understanding. Jenny's story has been told and I couldn't be happier with it.

-Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alexander Death.