Stacey Filak's Reviews > Mark of the Moon

Mark of the Moon by Beth Dranoff

So, I'm going to start off this review by saying that this isn't normally the kind of book I would seek out and read. Beth Dranoff, the author, and I share an agent. She is a lovely, hilarious person and I just had to see what kind of books she wrote. Was I in for a wonderful surprise!

I haven't read many Vampire/Were-animal novels since the Twilight years, and at first, I was a little worried. Was this going to feel like an old hat? Was this going to be a rehashing of the old, familiar tale? The answer was ABSOLUTELY NOT. From the very first line, I knew that this book was something completely different.

MARK OF THE MOON is sexy, funny, and the kind of fast-paced book that is hard to put down. Dana (our world-worn protagonist) has been around the block. She isn't phased by the clan of shape-shifters that hang around Toronto, nor the demon that owns the bar where she works. She and vamp pal, Jon have a super-hot, friends-with-benefits relationship that bubbles over into the arena of bondage, and I found myself spellbound by what Beth has managed to do so very well.

Despite her penchant for a little BDSM, Dana remains in control of her situation, sexually. She owns her own power, and she gives it to whomever she chooses, whenever she chooses. She is both strong, and submissive. She can be both, which is so different from the usual narrative that a strong woman must maintain her strength at all times, at all costs. Tensions flare when Dana's life takes a turn for the furrier, but no matter who she is purring up next to, consent features prominently in the narrative and Dana controls her own sexual destiny.

It was a strikingly refreshing look at sex, romance, and the darkness within us -- both mental and physical -- as Dana navigates the dangerous underbelly of Toronto's supernatural communities. If all Vampire/Were-critter books looked like this (and burned off the page, like this), I'd be reading a hell of a lot more of them.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mark of the Moon.

July 10, 2017 – Started Reading