Emma Smith's Reviews > Book of Squalor

Book of Squalor by Max Rudd

U 50x66

Read 2 times

Book of Squalor is a collection of short fiction, comprising of stories and poetry with a short screenplay added to this dark, psychological and supernatural mix of works. Max Rudd has a very clear and distinct voice as a writer. It always feels good to find such a clear voice from a newly published author. You feel that you yourself have discovered them and relish your find even more.

The poems have a spoken word quality to them – thereby fulfilling their purpose right there. I read and re-read each of them as I encountered them and couldn’t move on until I had then read them aloud at least once.

The short stories further reveal the writer’s imagination and his capacity to create memorable stories with a strong narrative and innate darkness – whether that darkness be psychological or supernatural. My particular favourite was The House on Dumaine Street. The innocuous title soon gives way to a story of the dark side of humanity and the supernatural consequences that befall two ex-soldiers from the Confederate army following the American Civil War.

The short screenplay is left-field, taking us somewhere few of us could even have imagined but which works really well. It would be fascinating to see this translated into a film and to see how that could work.

Overall, the collection is an eclectic mix with a dark vein running throughout and is an excellent first book for a writer with a very distinctive and personal voice.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Book of Squalor.

Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
August, 2017 – Started Reading
Finished Reading
August 26, 2017 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
August 26, 2017 – Shelved