Kristen Burns's Reviews > Carry On

Carry On by Rainbow Rowell

4 Stars

Review:
Oh my gosh, these two were adorable. Always working themselves up into snits and strops and blusters. I loved Simon with his quirky awkwardness and his weird love of butter. I loved Baz with his dark mysteriousness and his fatalistic loneliness. I loved the roommates/enemies-with-secret-feelings dynamic between them. Well, Simon didn't technically have secret feelings... that he knew of... but he was oddly obsessed with Baz, and the author did a great job of making you feel that there was something there, something more than just Simon worrying that Baz was plotting against him, so that when the romance did happen, it wasn't completely out of nowhere. And ahhhh, they were so cute. I loved them. This is going to sound weird, but I even liked the lack of romanticism in their relationship and the way that they saw and described each other because it made everything more grounded and realistic which somehow made it even cuter.

I also thought The magic system was really cool. It used words for spells---nursery rhymes, song lyrics, and other well-known phrases---because words have power. It was a neat concept.

This did have a lot of similarities to Harry Potter (a magic school, an orphaned chosen one, a Drarry-esque relationship), but this was definitely its own story with its own unique characters, and aside from those basic ideas, it was very different.

My understanding of the pacing was a bit off because I had to kind of read this book in pieces over the course of a few weeks due to health problems, but I didn't mind the slowness of the beginning has everything was being set up. I was into the story. I did feel like the ending seemed maybe a bit rushed and unexpected, but again, that could just be me because of how I read this book.

I also thought there were maybe a few too many POVs, some of which we're very brief and didn't quite seem necessary, but that was a very minor problem. I actually found that I liked the way the POVs were used, how the author sometimes jumped back and forth between them in short bursts (but always kept them clearly separated), because it had a unique kind of effect and added a feel of immediacy the book.

Also, I can't say I'm a fan of the cover design on the original hardcover, but the little silhouette etching on the actual hardcover is so simple yet so beautiful and is my favorite of all the hardcover books I own. I also love the map endpages, and there are even a few nice illustrations within the book.

Carry On - front of hardcover, yellow book with red silhouette of the profiles of Simon and BazCarry On - endpages with a map of the school campusCarry On - black and white illustration of Simon and Baz fighting a dragon

Overall, I really liked this book! The characters were lovable, the romance was adorable, the magic was unique, and it was a great story. I'm definitely looking forward to reading more in this series!

Recommended For:
Anyone who likes magic, magic schools, lovable characters, and adorable enemies-to-lovers YA romance.

Original Review @ Metaphors and Moonlight

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carry On.

August 26, 2017 – Shelved