Ken's Reviews > Pond

Pond by Claire-Louise Bennett

did not like it
bookshelves: finished-in-2017, contemporary

First-person point of view can be charming, indeed. We read such books and feel as though the narrator has chosen us specifically to confide in. We are privy to the narrator's secrets. We are honored to keep them secret in the name of empathy.

First-person point of view can be a prison, too. Imagine being trapped in the mind of someone who drives you crazy, whose observations are of little interest to you, whose voice is self-consciously quirky because the author (strings visible) is pulling said character's arms and legs and making said character speak and behave in odd-isn't-the-word-for-it ways, passing it off as "art."

After all, can't "art" take the form of a first-person narrator we'd consider eccentric? How about crazy? Depressed, then? But it has to work. Holden Caulfield works as a narrator. This bird doesn't. But she has a mighty fine vocabulary. And she's speaks in a stilted fashion. And her Empress has no clothes.

Meaning: Sometimes you're just grateful to come out the other end breathing air. The fresh air of another book. Quickly.

If you loved this book, consider it over my head and accept my apologies.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pond.

August 25, 2017 – Started Reading
August 25, 2017 – Shelved
August 28, 2017 –
page 102
52.31% "A dreary slog, but I'll try to make it. Might as well, my shoes are squelchy with mud already...."
August 28, 2017 –
page 141
72.31% "Pond-erous. Too much blood, sweat, and tears not to finish now, but I delayed as best I could, picking up the latest Poets & Writers and reading a few articles, flipping through this morning's Boston Globe, playing fetch with the dog for the third time today. Fido seems happy that I'm trying to read Pond. Bad, Fido, bad!"
August 29, 2017 – Shelved as: finished-in-2017