Amanda 's Reviews > The Canary Club

The Canary Club by Sherry D. Ficklin

bookshelves: netgalley, own

My review can also be found here:
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and Crimson Tree Publishing. All opinions are my own.

When I recently read Bright Young Things I mentioned in my review that I didn't think there were enough gangsters in that book. Well with The Canary Club my wish was granted! When I spied a book up for request by Sherry Ficklin that was also set in the 1920's, I couldn't request it fast enough! I remembered how much I absolutely loved Queen of Someday and I was stoked to read another title by the artist in prose that is Sherry Ficklin. I can say, quite happily so, that The Canary Club met and exceeded my high expectations.

I was swept into the 1920's as I started reading. Into a world of gangsters, speakeasies and forbidden love. This is a period that I love and know quite well, but Sherry Ficklin makes it come to life and transports me in time better than any other. The book feels authentic for the time period, as it is filled with slang from the 1920's. In comparison Bright Young Things feels like a romance novel playing dress-up, it doesn't have the same authentic feel.

Now I read romance novels, or novels with a romance aspect, practically everyday. I often find myself understanding the love interest, or seeing the attraction. But this is the first time in a long time that I truly found a book romantic. This was a romance that swept me off my feet and pulled at my heartstrings. The heat radiated off of the pages.

The plot was well thought out and the pacing made it hard to put down. I found myself staying up until the sun rose so I could finish reading. I was so engrossed in the world of gangsters and speakeasies that I didn't realize the time passing until I heard birds chirping. The realism and dirty deeds of these gangsters was gruesome and horrific, exactly how gangsters are supposed to be.

I would push this book at anyone who asks me for a recommendation. Being the second novel I've read by Sherry Ficklin I can say she is an author who will bring you back, no matter what it's about I will read anything by her. I can't wait to get my hands on another of her titles.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Canary Club.

August 25, 2017 – Shelved
August 25, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
August 25, 2017 – Shelved as: netgalley
August 28, 2017 – Started Reading
August 28, 2017 –
60.0% "So pleased to have been granted another opportunity to read a novel by Sherry Ficklin by Netgalley. I remember how much I loved Queen of Someday"
August 29, 2017 – Finished Reading