Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)'s Reviews > A Spoonful of Magic

A Spoonful of Magic by Irene Radford

did not like it
bookshelves: arc-review-copy, netgalley

This is my first experience with Irene Radford. Sadly I’m disappointed in what I read. A Spoonful of Magic turned out to be depressing and a major headache .

I picked this one up; because I found the cover to be beautiful and the blurb to be intriguing. Even though the blurb mention’s that Daffy’s hubby G has been unfaithful I was hoping it was a misunderstanding and not true, especially since G’s a Sheriff for the International Guild of Wizard’s. Sadly it didn’t turn out that way.

G is a cheater. As soon as it was true and came to light I should have DNF’d this book, but nope I kept going. I new I should have stoped, but their was something that compiled me to finish. Maybe I was hoping for a turn around, I just don’t know.

Cheater’s are a no no for me. That scenario is one I don’t like to read about, one that bothers me greatly. Their is no excuses for cheating. Non. So why does he cheat on his wife? Well it’s his magic. When he uses a lot of magic he ends up having to much pent up energy and the only way to get ride of it is to have sex. Since he’s out being sheriff of his territory and never home or near his wife, he sleeps with other women (one night stands). This set up for the magic is wrong. What was even more unfortunate is that G, Daffy’s X-Hubby had no remorse about what he did to his wife, doesn’t change his way, and continues to lie, cheat, and manipulate throughout the story.

As for G and Daffy I never felt the love from G, but Daffy she loved him. G picked Daffy up to be a mom to his son and used his wife as a nanny. It was sad how G treated his wife, whom you can clearly see loved him deeply. He kept secrets lots of them, doesn't talk to his wife now and then, nor does he tell her the truth, and when he does it's not the whole story. As for Daffy she has magical powers, but they have been layton until now. She also doesn't have the sexual urge like her X until they do a major power spell, but even then she doesn't give in and finds other ways to work off the excess energy.

To wrap things up A Spoonful of Magic showed some promise with the plot that was fascinating at times, the lesser characters where appealing, but ultimately the unorthodox morality Radford created in her magical world was just to hard for me to consume.

*Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy provided by Berkley Publishing via NetGalley with the sole purpose of an honest review. All thoughts, comments and ratings are my own.

angelsgp-seethisreview-blure

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Spoonful of Magic.

August 25, 2017 – Shelved
August 25, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
August 25, 2017 – Shelved as: arc-review-copy
August 25, 2017 – Shelved as: netgalley
August 26, 2017 – Started Reading
August 26, 2017 –
August 26, 2017 –
27.0% "cheating is a no no in my book. No excuse to cheat on your wife, husband, partner."
August 27, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

Anna's Herding Cats Oh I am so glad I checked when I got the request for this one. That is a whole lot of nope.

message 2: by Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures) (last edited Sep 19, 2017 09:58AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures) Anna's Herding Cats wrote: "Oh I am so glad I checked when I got the request for this one. That is a whole lot of nope."

I had saw this on someones Stalking the Shelves post and the blurb made this sound interesting and appealing, but it was a disaster and gave me a headache. I should have put it done especially since I h8 cheating. It's a big no for me in books. I will say their was potential, but the unorthodox morality Radford created in her magical world was just NO, WRONG.

Glad to help another reader out.

message 3: by Bea (new) - added it

Bea  Charmed dang, I requested this one. :( Oh well. I was sucked in by the cover and the blurb. I was also hoping that the cheating was a misunderstanding and not actual cheating.

Lark of The Bookwyrm's Hoard Ditto, Bea. That makes me sad. I had hopes for this one.

Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures) Bea wrote: "dang, I requested this one. :( Oh well. I was sucked in by the cover and the blurb. I was also hoping that the cheating was a misunderstanding and not actual cheating."

Ya, that's the same thing that got me and I was hoping the same thing on the cheating too.... =/

message 6: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Thanks for saving my time on this one. Like you, I expected the cheating scenario to be cleared up as some misunderstanding because he turns out to be magical but ugh. Great review.

Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures) Lisa (Fic Talk) wrote: "Thanks for saving my time on this one. Like you, I expected the cheating scenario to be cleared up as some misunderstanding because he turns out to be magical but ugh. Great review."

You are welcome! I was totally hoping for something different on the cheating end, but lordy nope. Glad to help.