Natasha Martinez's Reviews > Inkheart Trilogy Boxset

Inkheart Trilogy Boxset by Cornelia Funke

Sep 18, 2011

This series is probably what inspired me to write to begin with. Cornelia Funke winds through out all three novels, a complex and surprisingly mature tale for what is supposed to be a children's series. This is probably why the series is so appealing to me. Funke does not patronize her intended audience with the usual sweet, flowery fairy tale, but instead explores the terror one might discover if one were to actually disappear into his or her favorite book and meet the characters. (Despite the fact that many have complained that the last installment was too mature for the intended audience, I believe that like the audience itself, the series matured and perhaps just as the readers where no longer young children, so the novel was no longer for young children).

What's more, Funke's characters are by no means the standard, two-dimensional heroins or villains. These characters are remarkably complex and well rounded, displaying very real, human emotions and evolving (as real people do) through out each novel. The effect is that the reader finds themselves attatched to the characters and understanding their actions, even when we find ourselves furious with the characters for doing them. (view spoiler).

As for her writing style, Funke's use of imagery is absolutely gorgeous, to say the least. I'm proud to say that a great deal of my love for imagery in my own writing is because of her ability to paint beautiful scenes without coming off as grandiloquent or just plain boring. Her style remains what captivated me to begin with, and what keeps me running back to these books, seven years later.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inkheart Trilogy Boxset.