Mark Mortensen's Reviews > Everybody Had an Ocean: Music and Mayhem in 1960s Los Angeles

Everybody Had an Ocean by William McKeen

bookshelves: biography, music

This book details the music industry during the decade of the 1960’s in connection to southern California. Jan & Dean, the Beach Boys and other local groups started a movement. Once Capital Records and its recording studio were formed within the L.A. community, top recording artists across America gravitated west to seek fame and connect with Phil Spector. The culture of sun, sand and surf, quickly evolved into sex, drugs and not just rock and roll but a wide assortment of music.

The Beach Boys gained full recognition in the fall of 1963 the same time I entered middle school. In homeroom we’d often swap Beach Boy and Beatle 45 rpms. A couple years later I purchased my first surfboard that was kept at my grandparents’ home on Cape Cod, which in part was the reason I was drawn to the 60’s southern California music, but with firm east coast roots I had no desire to live the west coast lifestyle.

It wasn't all fun, fun, fun. I did not know the full connection of Charles Manson to the music industry, nor did I comprehend the full mayhem and a dark side of Los Angles record industry in the 1960’s. Upon reflection it’s sad that so many talented musicians, who partied and initially took drugs for recreational use, ended up being habitual heavy drug users in the decades following the 1960’s up to their death.

Author William McKeen fully knows the subject, is remarkably astute, witty and his unique descriptive phrases are priceless. The book is excellent even though it is void of photos.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everybody Had an Ocean.

August 24, 2017 – Started Reading
August 24, 2017 – Shelved
August 24, 2017 – Shelved as: biography
August 24, 2017 – Shelved as: music
September 6, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Gerry (new)

Gerry Very good review, though I have to admit it is not a book I would read.

message 2: by Mark (last edited Sep 07, 2017 04:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark Mortensen The sad part is that the original L.A. 60's parties may have seemed like a wild fun blast at first, but as the years rolled on there was a pattern of sex with married spouses, sometimes with permission and many times not. Music groups changed personnel as often as marriages dissolved. True eternal love seemed rare, but then again for many musicians in that culture, music came first. Most appeared to have abused their bodies and died well before age 65.