Julie's Reviews > Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife: Pride and Prejudice Continues

Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife by Linda Berdoll

Apr 26, 2008

bookshelves: keepers, audiobook, audiobook-review, historical-romance
Read from December 31, 2012 to January 22, 2013

A re-read for me, but this time on audiobook. I was doubtful about whether I'd still love this P&P fanfic, but I must admit, it's held up over the years and I still love it just as much as ever - great on audio with Rosalyn Landor as narrator. I swear she was determined to duplicate Jennifer Ehle's performance in the A&E series. The second half lags, but I enjoyed it more this time on audio than in print. This is a beloved, nostalgic walk back in time to my Darcy/Colin Firth obsession days. I know, I know, many either love it or hate it, but I'm in the camp that loves it! A keeper for me. 4.5/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife.

message 1: by Marie-Therese (new)

Marie-Therese Don't do it!!! Turn back while you can! Before your brain is scarred and your images of Elizabeth and Darcy are forever sullied.

Really, though, Julie, I thought you'd already read this one. Am I misremembering? I hated this and count it one of the worst books I've ever read. I did find it rather hilarious though in a jaw-dropping "I can't believe I just read that" kind of way.

Julie I know I know, but it's a sentimental favorite of mine for various reasons. People either love this or hate it. Now don't get me started on the next book! Awful! I'm on the lover side for this first one, I'm afraid. I know very well this is a fanfic and I thought it was very funny too. Of course it's not JA, it's a what if! I just want to see how it is on audio, thought it might make the second half better since that's the part that dragged for me. I read this years ago at the height of my Darcy/CF mania when it was still under its former name, I can't help loving it!

Tracey I liked this one too, but it is simply a gloried fan fic. Mind you, this day and age, plenty of fan fics are for sale as well, so there's really no harm in admitting you enjoy it. A guilty pleasure...

Julie Tracey as you know this was a sensation back in the day, still holds up and I consider it the gold standard before everyone started self publishing or going with Sourcebooks.