Helen's Reviews > The Sapphire Throne

The Sapphire Throne by Freda Warrington

bookshelves: adventures, fairy-tales, fantasy, magic, reviewed

The Sapphire Throne is a huge improvement on the first book.

The Amber Citadel introduced so many characters and backstory and such a massive amount of history that the story got bogged down. The Sapphire Throne takes all the setup already done and runs with it!

The story is exciting and well paced and Freda Warrington throws surprises in almost every chapter. She turns the expected fantasy storylines on their heads and writes something a bit different with a strong personality - often sorely lacking in the fantasy realm.

The ending leaves things in such a desperate state I NEED to get my hands on the next book to find out what happens.

I have a serious love / hate relationship with the characters in this series. All of them have things about them I dislike and make me angry but I still care about them. There's so much less whinging that in the first book that I actually quite like Tanthe and Rufryd, though they still make some very questionable choices (especially Tanthe). It's a refreshing change to have heroes that are flawed and human instead of humble and self-sacrificing to the point of saintliness.

I'm hooked - can't wait for the next one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sapphire Throne.

August 24, 2017 – Shelved