Brenda's Reviews > Finding Gobi: The True Story Of A Little Dog And An Incredible Journey

Finding Gobi by Dion Leonard

bookshelves: 2017-release, animals, aussie-authors, non-fiction, borrowed, memoir, 5000-books

Dion Leonard, an Australian living in Edinburgh, Scotland, was in China for the 155-mile race through the Gobi Desert when a small brown ball of fluff with big eyes attached herself to him. As he ran each leg of the race, the dog kept pace with him. At one stage they crossed a water course, and when she called to him from the bank, Dion turned and picked her up, carrying her across. When it was obvious the little dog would remain by his side, he named her Gobi – her courage and tenacity was outstanding. She cemented her place in his heart; it was a special friendship.

When Dion and his wife Lucja were working out how to get Gobi home to Scotland, she went missing from the city of Urumqi in China. As Dion and the volunteers searched for Gobi, he wondered how he would ever find her – the city was home to thousands of stray dogs; how to find one in the maze of the rest? But help came from everywhere – international media, the internet and even the locals were caught up in the story of the missing Gobi. Would Dion be reunited with the extraordinary little dog who had adopted him as he ran across the sands of the Gobi Desert?

Finding Gobi is a wonderful, heartwarming story written by Aussie ultramarathon runner and author Dion Leonard. I flew through the story in a matter of hours; beautifully written, filled with heartfelt emotion and always the little dog who takes everyone’s hearts. An amazing true story about an incredible journey, and one I highly recommend. With thanks to my daughter from whom I borrowed the book after she recommended it to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finding Gobi.

August 24, 2017 – Shelved
January 5, 2018 – Shelved as: memoir
January 10, 2018 – Started Reading
January 10, 2018 – Shelved as: 5000-books
January 10, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Excellent 💕😊🐾

Brenda A truly wonderful story Melissa :) You would love it I'm sure!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin I know I would!

message 4: by Krystal (new) - added it

Krystal It sounds great!

Brenda Thanks Krystal :) I loved it!

Sharon Awww I like the sound of this one, Brenda. Great review 😊

Brenda Thanks Sharon :) I was actually surprised at how much I loved it!

Sharon Oh I love books that turn out like that. The joy of reading 😊

message 9: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Great review, Brenda!

MaryG2E I read this book a few months ago, Brenda, and, like you, absolutely loved it. A truly heart-warming story. I was as intrigued by the author's insights into the rarefied world of ultra marathon racing as I was by the adventures of the delightful dog.

Brenda Cheryl wrote: "Great review, Brenda!"

Thanks Cheryl!

Brenda Sharon wrote: "Oh I love books that turn out like that. The joy of reading 😊"

Unexpected treasures :)

Brenda MaryG2E wrote: "I read this book a few months ago, Brenda, and, like you, absolutely loved it. A truly heart-warming story. I was as intrigued by the author's insights into the rarefied world of ultra marathon rac..."

Yes it was fascinating wasn't it.

message 14: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Smith Sounds delightful!

Brenda It was a spectacular read :)

message 16: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne So nice you and your daughter can share books, Brenda! Loved your review.

Brenda Thanks Suzanne :) Yes it is!