Carrie's Reviews > A Quiet Belief in Angels

A Quiet Belief in Angels by R.J. Ellory

Apr 26, 2008

Recommended to Carrie by: Roger Ellory
Recommended for: Eveyone who loves a thriller
Read 2 times. Last read April 1, 2008.

When I first started reading R.J.Ellory’s, A Quiet Belief in Angels, I thought,

"This is a con.....this can't be right.....this is a joke!"

I was convinced I was reading the works of the Master, Steinbeck.

Right from the opening lines, Ellory had me drawn in, taken under the influence of, and then totally intoxicated by his verbal skills and mastery over phrase, paragraph and perfect prose.

‘Sat at my window, chin almost touching the sill, and looked out into the night. Sky as hard as flint, the scudding clouds thin and fragile, like they’d disperse with nothing more than a fingersnap, but all of it beautiful in a broken-up, haphazard kind of way; the ghosts of day-clouds, backlit afterthoughts to remind you of morning. The morning gone, the morning on its way…which one it didn’t seem to matter. In the air the crisp snap of lodgepole pine and bitter juniper made the taste of breathing sour and electric.’

Pure poetry!

‘Tried not to think of my father, the sound of his voice, the smell of him – bitter apples, coal tar, sometimes cigars. I closed my mind down to nothing. Waited and watched, and then waited some more. Tried to breathe deep and even and slow. Tried to close out the sound of bugs and trees, of wind and the stream. Tried to hear other things. Things that came from darkness.’

More impeccable prose!

Added to his power over words, was R.J.’s inimitable expertise as a story teller. I read with eagerness and yet uneasiness, the unfolding of the heinous, extraordinary crimes that disturbed and haunted the ordinary, hard-working, everyday folk of Augusta Falls, Georgia; commencing in 1939.

As I travelled with him, sometimes coaxed, sometimes running ahead, I couldn’t help but feel perturbed that the road in front might not be going the way in which I wanted to walk……at times, as a reluctant traveller, he forced me to tread the path that he had beaten out and I became timorous, totally disquieted that the destination we were heading for was not one I would choose to aim for; not a place I would seek to visit.

R.J. Ellory forcibly delivers, he will not disappoint!

He is a Writer to be reckoned with and bears a name that one day, I am confident, will be reckoned up amidst the All Time Greats!

Are we sure he did not sit and learn at the foot of John Steinbeck?

Carrie King

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Quiet Belief in Angels.

Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
Started Reading
April 1, 2008 – Finished Reading
April 26, 2008 – Shelved
April 26, 2008 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)

message 1: by Coalbanks (last edited Apr 30, 2008 06:22PM) (new) - added it

Coalbanks Oh you English! So repressed! Tell us how you reeeeeaaallyy feel about his writing! Thanks for the review. It helps to get such candid reviews with so much on the shelf to choose from.

Carrie You always make me laugh and bring me back to earth! How is beautiful Canada?

message 3: by Coalbanks (new) - added it

Coalbanks How beautiful is Canada? Let me count the ways... oooH! too corny! Bright blue skies, big cumulous clouds, a but breezy, somewhat of a nip to those "breezes", where the *# is spring? Oh great, the dandelions have started to bloom!

Carrie Hi Guy from Canada

I thought you might like to know, I sent your comment about me being 'so repressed' to Mr R.J. Ellory, himself (he sold 250,000 copies of his book, A Quiet Belief in Angels, in 4 weeks) and this is what he replied....

That's really very sweet, and very funny! Haven't we been led to believe that Canadians have no sense of humour?
Roger.

Well, I think you are very funny!

Carrie

P.S. Do you have a name or are you a real live Oliver Twist?