Stephanie's Reviews > I Am Malala: How One Girl Stood Up for Education and Changed the World

I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai

bookshelves: mmd-2017-challenge

I had heard of Malala, and her story has been on my "to-read" list for some time now. I'm glad its one I can finally check off.

I like how Malala is a girl just like I am. Even though she is from a different country, culture, religion, we have similarities still. I also like how she justifies arguing with her brothers also - "...when Khushal fights with me, I oblige him."

There were a few lines that I was drawn to:
1) In talking about moving to the upper school, Malala writes: "In a country where so many people consider it a waste to send girls to school, it is a teacher who helps you believe in your dreams." (chapter 10) - I think this is true even in America. Teachers have such an impact on their students, more so than the teacher may ever realize.
2) When going through the ups and downs of life, the words of Malala's father, Ziauddin, seem like encouragement when you're scared - '"At night our fear is strong, jani," he said. "But in the morning, in the light, we find our courage again."' (chapter 10)
3) When Malala offers to keep a diary for the BBC about life under the Taliban and her dad is torn about his daughter being vocal about the same issue he is fighting for, her mother, Toor Pekai, seemed to side with Malala - 'She gave us her answer with a verse from the Holy Quran. "Falsehood has to die," she said. "And truth has to come forward."' (chapter 12)
4) When learning there was a death threat against her from the Taliban, I like how Malala approached it when she saw her father was worried. She was calm, but saw her father was near tears and responded '"Everybody knows they will die someday. No one can stop death. It doesn't matter if it comes from a Talib or from cancer.."..." Aba," I said. "You were the one who said if we believe in something greater than our lives, then our voices will only multiply, even if we are dead. We can't stop now."' (chapter 20)
5) Malala's dream, I think, is one that many others agree with, myself included - "Peace in every home, every street, every village, every country-this is my dream. Education for every boy and every girl in the world. To sit down on a chair and read my books with all my friends at school is my right. Te see each and every human being with a smile of true happiness is my wish." - and as stated when she addressed the United Nations - "One child, one teacher, one pen, and one book can change the world." (epilogue)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Malala.

August 23, 2017 – Shelved