Kim's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling

Sep 18, 2011

bookshelves: audiobook

Thankfully not as long as HP and the Order of the Phoenix, the sixth instalment in the adventures of Harry and his friends felt somewhat more disciplined than numbers 4 and 5. I was glad that Harry had moved beyond the emo-sulks of the last episode and was a bit more mature, if not always particularly smart or insightful.

There are lots of things to love about this book. The teenage romance sub-theme rang true. The flashback scenes using the pensive were also well done. Rowling cleverly uses them to engender understanding of, if not sympathy for, the motivation and psyche of the arch-villain Voldemort. Tension was built throughout the novel, but the continued flashes of humour lightened an otherwise very dark mood. And, of course, Stephen Fry's narration remains a joy.

There are also some less successful elements. There's no doubt that the book would have benefited from some more ruthless editing, for while it is tighter than numbers four and five, Rowling still shows a tendency to ramble. Her predilection for big reveal scenes remains tedious. Sure, the plot details need to emerge. But the long discussions between characters telling each other what they've been up to which book-end the most dramatic event in the novel rob that event of some its power.

I thought that I'd have a break and listen to another audiobook between this book and number seven, as I've done with each of the earlier books. But this time I can't. It's straight to the finale for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

message 1: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim I agree, Abigail. It's definitely a big set-up for the finale. Sucked me right in, though. I'm rather glad I didn't read it when it was first published, as having to wait for the resolution would have been annoying.

message 2: by Kim (last edited Sep 26, 2011 05:32PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim I still don't believe that Snape is evil, so I'll have to check out The Great Snape Debate once I've finished the book, with all the benefit of hindsight. I have decided to make my next audiobook "The Return of the Native" read by .... Alan Rickman. Sort of in honour of Snape!