Ari's Reviews > The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

bookshelves: 2012, favorites, sweet-romance, standalone, by-color-gray-ish, mixed
Read 2 times. Last read January 4, 2012 to January 5, 2012.

I think I fell in love.. at first sight.. with this book.
I finished reading it with happy tears in my eyes. It made me sad, it made me happy, it made my heart race even though there wasn’t too much action, but the amount of emotions per page were definitely too many for my heart to handle them properly.

This book went from the ‘must read’ shelf to the ‘most beautiful romances’ shelf in a blink of an eye. I was caught up in this story without knowing – one moment (around midnight) I started reading it, I struggled with understanding Hadley and her problems with her father, and then I don’t remember how the time passed and it was 5:30 in the morning when I virtually turned the last page of my kindle and I was deeply in love with this story.

I thought it was supposed to be a fluffy read about love at first sight, as the title and the description of the book are a bit misleading giving you a hint in this direction.
So I was prepared to laugh and maybe to care a bit about Hadley and Oliver. Still, nothing prepared me for the beauty and the dramatic turnarounds of this story.
Of course I saw it coming, from the brief discussion on the plane, but that’s how amazing this story is, because even though I knew what I was bracing myself for, it still made me shudder, it still made my eyes tear of emotions.

Carousel is not a strong enough word… I need another one, one more powerful, holding more meaning. Because this story is not light at all, it’s heavy, so heavy that it holds my heart to the floor, and it made my soul ache.
There was this big gap between all the happy moments and memories (the time spent in the plane full of joyful talks) and the drama behind it all, and the meaning of so many phrases that at first sight didn’t seem to mean more than what you can hear, but at the end, there was much more to them.

You know, kids usually think they have the right to choose a destiny for their parents.
They think that because their parents love them, they must condemn themselves to a life of misery and unhappiness only for the good wealth of their children.. But this is so not right, in so many ways.
Kids grow up. You have them with you for like 20 years and then they fly away to a better life, to their own life.
So I would never judge the couples that decide that they no longer have to be together, that decide that they need someone else to be happy with.. It doesn’t mean that they don’t love their kids anymore, it just mean that they need to find their own happiness too.

This being said I couldn’t relate to Hadley’s pain.
For the last past 2 years Hadley kept her father away. She didn’t want to be part of his new life and she didn’t want him in her life. She thought that if he had chosen to be with someone else, she was better off. But then, it seamed that her own decisions were the ones that made her impossibly unhappy, because she suffered for not having him in her life anymore. It was a personal, inside fight without an ending, and it hurt her more than she knew it could.

Still, I loved how she understood that she was the one making a big mistake, that he was “still her father, the rest was just geography” and that there were worst places to be on a summer weekend than a weeding.
Off course she wouldn’t have understood it if it weren’t for Oliver, dear sweet Oliver. I loved this guy – he was cute, he was funny, he knew how to enjoy life even at it’s worst, he was so caring and nice that you would like to meet him in person.
Yes, he is the reason Hadley made up her mind.. Finding that others might suffer as well, that other might have bigger problems helped her understand that she was exaggerating in her pain.

Pain is relative; we might suffer as much from the very wrong and different reasons. What counts in the end is the lesson we’ve learned, how it might change us.
In all the drama, the sweet love story seemed like the sunshine after the torment. It was warm, and sweet, and it made me smile.
I loved the moments on the plane, their conversations, their brief jokes, and their shyness. I loved how, minute by minute, they got closer, and closer, one kiss away from each other… I loved how they found a way to be there one for the other, every time they needed it… I loved how they fell in love, and how they made me love their love story.

So, yes, I’ll say it again:
Reading this story felt like falling in love for the first time. As warm as a summer rain, as bright as the sunshine, as beautiful as a rainbow, as light as a flight, as fluffy as a cloud, as colorful as fireworks, as soft as a kiss.. Because this is what love at the first sight feels like :) Enjoy it!

Happy midnight reading!

____________________________________________

Blog (EN) | Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr | Bloglovin' | Blog (RO)
____________________________________________

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight.

Quotes Ari Liked

Jennifer E. Smith
“He’s like a song she can’t get out of her head. Hard as she tries, the melody of their meeting runs through her mind on an endless loop, each time as surprisingly sweet as the last, like a lullaby, like a hymn, and she doesn’t think she could ever get tired of hearing it.”

Jennifer E. Smith
“It's not the changes that will break your heart; it's that tug of familiarity.”

Jennifer E. Smith
“I can't believe you're here," she says, her voice soft. "I can't believe you found me."

"You found me first," he says, and when he leans to kiss her, it's slow and sweet and she knows that this will be the one she always remembers. Because while the other two kisses felt like endings, this one is unquestionably a beginning.”
Jennifer E. Smith, The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
September 18, 2011 – Shelved
September 18, 2011 – Shelved as: 2012
January 4, 2012 – Started Reading
January 4, 2012 –
45.0% "That can't be it, right?.. Right?! I want some more Oliver.. and Hadley, off course ;))"
January 4, 2012 –
100.0% "I think I'm in love.. With this book.. At first sight ;))"
January 5, 2012 – Finished Reading
January 9, 2012 – Shelved as: favorites
January 24, 2012 – Shelved as: sweet-romance
November 9, 2014 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
November 9, 2014 – Shelved as: recenzii-ro (Paperback Edition)
December 10, 2014 – Shelved as: standalone
March 20, 2015 – Shelved as: by-color-gray-ish
March 20, 2015 – Shelved as: by-color-gray-ish (Paperback Edition)
March 6, 2018 – Shelved as: mixed

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)

Giselle YAY!

message 2: by Racquel (new) - added it

Racquel *throws hands in the air* I'm so happy as if I'm the one that read this & gave it 5 stars. Can't wait for your review:D

Wendy Darling Wow, what a placeholder of a review. *surreptitiously moves book further towards the top of the list*

Giselle Ooh Wendy you have to read this! I'm curious to see what you think!

message 5: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari I thought that it was suppose to be a light read. But there was so much more to this story. I really loved it ;))

I hope that you will like it, Wendy!

message 6: by Sonya (last edited Mar 16, 2012 08:55AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sonya Nicely reviewed, Ari! I didn't have too much expectation on this, as I'm afraid it is about instant love. But it doesn't seem the case, I mean deeper than I thought. Moving higher on my to-read list. By the way, I love the cover. :-D

message 7: by Ari (last edited Mar 16, 2012 09:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari For me it never felt like insta-love (it's not like they see each other, barely say 3 words and then fall madly in love - they talk a lot so you get to see that they are compatible and they are cute together). Also the romance is not the biggest part of the story (even though I wanted to read more about Oliver and less about the family drama :p)

message 8: by Sonya (last edited Mar 17, 2012 11:58PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sonya The blurb is quite misleading then."Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?" . Haha. I am now looking forward to this. :-)

message 9: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari That part is actually true, those 4 minutes get to change Hadley’s life (but not in the way you might think; they don't fall in love in 4 minutes, don't worry).
BTW, even the title is part of the story, a cute one ;))

Don't hold it against me if you don't love this book as much as I did, but I can't say anything bad about it because you see... I liked it ;)))

Steph I thought it was going to be a light read too! But it wasn't until Hadley started to forgive her father that I really started crying. This book is my ultimate favorite because it made me realize exactly how wrong it was for me to never forgive MY father. It's been over eleven years since I've seen or talked to him. It's like he was sucked into a black hole. After reading this book i found myself wondering if my father had another family, If i had half sisters or brothers, and what it would have been like If i had forgiven him. Now I'm almost sixteen and I'll never get those answers because its too late.

message 11: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari Oh hun, this sounds so sad.
But I guess we all learn from our mistakes. Not all situations can get a quick resolve like in the books, so don't think about all those what-if's, as it will only make you feel worse. If you are only sixteen, you have a whole life in front of you, and you should think about all the things you can change to be happier, not the ones you can't.
Still, I understand you, sometimes (while reading) I realize too how wrong I've been in some situations too.

Steph Thanks so much for commenting back. You're right: I can't change the past but my future. Maybe one day when I'm older I'll go back to the country where i was born and look for him, just to say that I forgave him. This book has been on my mind all day and now i can't seem to get that goal out of my head. To truly forgive and forget without letting the bitterness I've accumulated over the years take over. Once again, thanks so much.

message 13: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari You're welcome dear. I hope that you will sort things out with your dad one day.. and I wish you to be happy and have no regrets at all.
Have a great weekend ;)

Steph I haven't replied to this in almost a year, but I've got news. My father contacted me about a month before my sixteenth birthday (October). It came as such a shock but I guess God heard my prayers and sent him back to me. I finally got to tell him I forgave him.

message 15: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari I am glad to hear that. You must feel better now that you got to talk to him after so much time. I hope you'll be keeping in touch with him more form now on :) An I love it when our lives have tiny 'happy endings' here and there ;)

Steph I do, I feel like so much weight has lifted off me. Thanks for taking the time to reply!

-Stephany

message 17: by Daeya (new)

Daeya At first I also totally thought that it was going to be purely a fluff book, which isn't bad, but it ended up having way more substance than expected. Hadley experienced every emotional aspect of a relationship in just 24 hours. When she took a leap of spontaneity and got in a taxi trying to find oliver, my ideas of their relationship were finally concrete.

message 18: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari Yes, indeed. I also make the distinction between the concept of 'insta-love' (which for me is absolutely underdeveloped and it happens way too fast, not necessarily in time, but regarding the scale of those feelings - as they go from nothing to too much already) and some sort of 'love at first sight' which can feel real, plausible, cute and it makes you fall in love with both characters as they do.
And I loved the emotional side of the story and how thanks to Oliver Hadley started to see things clearly, to focus more in what's really important. It was a lovely story :)

helloiammili Same, this review describes my feelings perfectly.

message 20: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari I am glad to hear that! Cheers!