Celeste's Reviews > Murder on the Orient Express

Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

bookshelves: classics-i-ve-read, mystery

I have a confession to make. I’ve never read an Agatha Christie novel. Why is this a big deal, you might be asking yourself if you have also never jumped on the Christie train. (Train? Get it? Because this entire book takes place on a train! *laughs forever at own joke*) Well, I’m a life-long bookworm, with a degree in English literature to prove it. And Agatha Christie is the unarguable queen of an entire genre. Did you know that Agatha Christie is the best selling novelist of all time, second only to the Bible and the works of Shakespeare in terms of sales? Because I sure didn’t. I knew that she was a big deal in the mystery genre, but bestselling novelist of all time? I was unaware. But I know now, and have now taken my first step to rectifying my oversight.

So the question is: what did I think of my first Christie novel? I loved it! This was the tenth installment of the Hercule Poirot series, but thankfully it was a perfect place to start. From what I’ve gathered, each Poirot novel stands perfectly well on its own, and that was definitely the case with Murder on the Orient Express. This little novel was published in 1934, and it has aged incredibly well. Even though the book was published 83 years ago, the language was incredibly simple and easy to sink into, and the plot was super engaging. I loved that all of the suspects were confined to the train with Poirot and the victim, and that Poirot had no outside assistance to aid his crime solving. Also, that ending was a complete surprise to me. I usually manage to guess plot twists and endings, especially in murder mysteries. I didn’t guess this ending, and it was refreshing.

The characters were wonderfully varied. Some of them tended to almost be caricatures, but always for a reason. The star of the book, Poirot, actually took a back seat to the other characters, but this was very purposeful. Poirot is a more laid-back and introverted person than many famous detectives, which works incredibly well for his line of work. When people don’t notice you, it’s easy to observe things they’d prefer remained hidden.

Sherlock Holmes has always been my favorite detective. I’ve read every single novel and short story Conan Doyle crafted about the famous man with the mind palace, and I am completely addicted to the BBC show starring Benedict Cumberbatch. Seriously, I’ve watched each episode at least half a dozen times. Not that there are many episodes to watch… *sobs in a corner* That being said, I already love Hercule Poirot. I don’t know that he’ll ever quite equal Sherlock, but I fully intend to give him every opportunity. I will be reading more Christie novels, and soon.

For more of my reviews, as well as my own fiction and thoughts on life, check out my blog, Celestial Musings.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Murder on the Orient Express.

August 23, 2017 – Started Reading
August 23, 2017 – Shelved
August 26, 2017 – Finished Reading
August 29, 2017 – Shelved as: classics-i-ve-read
August 29, 2017 – Shelved as: mystery

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)

Liam Degnan Oh my gosh, I just started reading this yesterday haha! I've never read anything by her either, but I saw a trailer for the upcoming movie, and I figured I should really pick it up, considering she's the the best selling author of all time haha. Great review!

Celeste Thank you, Liam!! I hope you enjoy it as well! Let me know what you think when you finish. 😉

message 3: by Petrik (new)

Petrik wonderful review Celeste!! I literally just saw the trailer of this movie yesterday! xD

Celeste Thank you, my darling!! I still haven't seen the trailer, so I'm going to go watch that now! 😘

message 5: by Aaron (new) - added it

Aaron A perfect review giving us all of your feeling without laying out the whole book. I discovered Dame Agatha early in my life and even may have stolen a bit of her work for a 7th grade paper. There will always be a place in my heart for her stories. So glad you found her.

Celeste Thank you so much, Aaron!! It's wonderful that she's been such a huge part of her life, and I hope she becomes a big part of mine.

Ginger Welcome to the wonderful world of AC! I absolutely love her books.
Wonderful review Celeste!

Celeste Thank you, Ginger! I plan to enjoy my stay! 😜

Nicole (Read Eat Sleep Repeat) Great review, Celeste! This book is one of my all-time favorites!

Celeste Thank you so much, Nicole! I can totally see why this one is a favorite!

message 11: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary This book began my obsession with Hercule Poirot. Glad you loved it!

Celeste I did indeed, Mary. Glad I chose a good place to start!

Haïfa My little heart is so happy right now !!! 😍

Haïfa The stories featuring Hercule Poirot are my favorites by Christie ! Great review my darling!

Celeste Thank you, my love!! I can't wait to read more of them!

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Awesome review Celeste!! I'm glad you finally got this tick off on your bucket list haha! *laughs at your jokes with you*

Celeste Thank you, my love! And thanks for laughing at my terrible jokes with me! 😜😂

Celeste Aw, that's so sweet, Mel. Thank you! I honestly didn't know that Arsenic and Old Lace was a Christie novel. Now I need to watch/read that. I hope you enjoy this whenever you pick it up!!

message 19: by Evgeny (new)

Evgeny I have just two things to say:

1. Nice review.
2. Forget about guessing all the plot twists in an Agatha Christie novel (or a short story for that matter). She is THE Queen of mystery for a reason.

Celeste Haha, thank you Evgeny!

message 21: by Jokoloyo (new)

Jokoloyo Celeste, thank you for the great review, and I am glad you enjoy it. You are the first person I know whose first read of AC was Murder on the Orient Express. I can only imagine what a mind blowing experience your had.

message 22: by TS (new) - rated it 5 stars

TS Chan Fantastic review, Celeste! Now I'm even more stoked to finally read Agatha Christie. *Laughs along with your joke*

Celeste Thank you so much, Jokoloyo! I'm so glad this book was my first AC!!

Celeste Thank you, TS my darling!! I'd be happy to either discuss this one with you or BR another of her books with you whenever you're in the mood! 😘😘

message 25: by Tara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tara Nice review and that is my favorite Agatha Christie book!

Celeste Thank you, Tara! 😁

Tammie This was also the first Christie book I read and I loved it too. You should try And Then There Were None.

Celeste That's the next one I want to read, Tammie!

message 29: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Arsenic and Old Lace wasn't Christie (American playwright wrote that one) but her play The Mousetrap, which as the longest running play, is still going on in London.

You should check out the 1974 Murder on the Orient Express movie--lot of great actors in the cast--Lauren Bacall, Ingrid Bergman, Sean Connery, Vanessa Redgrave, etc. Interested to see what the new movie coming out soon will be like! Not won over by Branagh's mustache yet.

Celeste Ah. Thanks for the clarification, Colleen. And I'll try to hunt down a copy of the 1974 movie. I'm with you on Branagh's mustache, though. 😂

Brina So glad. I've been reading Christie forever and this book is my favorite. I still read 1-2 Poirot or Miss Marple cases a months. I would see the original movie before the new one or see the A&E series with David Souchet as Poirot.

Celeste Thanks, Brina! I'll try to track down that A&E series, as well!

George Rife It's my favorite mystery novel!

Celeste I can see why, George!

Adina I only read my first Christie, And There were None this year as well. She is a crafty mystery writer, I did not guess the killer.

Celeste I'm really looking forward to And Then There were None, Adina!

message 37: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz I resonate 100% with your first paragraph. Lifelong bookworm, English degree, for some ridiculous oversight have never read Christie until this autumn. (Even though I was intrigued by her one-episode character in season 4 of Doctor Who, it wasn't enough to make me pick up a book!) And now...what a writer. And what a woman! Her life story is fascinating. So, anyway, apparently there will always be new things for us literature geeks to learn. :)

Celeste Liz, that episode of Doctor Who piqued my interest in her, as well! I'm glad I finally decided to read her. I'm over halfway through And Then There Were None now, and it's just as enthralling. Glad you found her, too!

message 39: by alyssa (new)

alyssa awesome review, sweets xo

Celeste Thanks, Alyssa! 😊

message 41: by Redowan (new)

Redowan Nafi Poirot is already better than Sherlock in my opinion. I never fancied Conan Doyle's inclination to emphasize on the smallest evidences rather than on the human psychology. Poirot and Holmes are a different take on the same problem, I guess.

Celeste They are indeed very different. I still lean a bit toward Sherlock, but that might be because I’ve known him for much longer! 😅

Barbara Nutting I’ll take Agatha Christie over the Bible or Shakespeare any day!

Celeste Barbara wrote: "I’ll take Agatha Christie over the Bible or Shakespeare any day!"

Haha, I'm glad you enjoy her so much, Barbara. She's definitely deserving of loyal fans!